cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG7720 Printer is performing another operation

dbroo
Apprentice

For some reason my Canon MX7720 printer, which has worked fine for five years, suddenly won't print. It gives the error "printer is performing another operation". I'm using windows 10. I didn't make any significant changes to the computer before this happened. In an attempt to repair I have:

• Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver (multiple times)
  • Restarted print spooling
  • Restarted the computer multiple times during the various efforts

At this point, the printer is unusable. I've read thread-after-thread that talks about this error, but I have yet to find anyone who seems to have an actual fix. 

Incidentally, at one point today, the computer just began spitting out two pages of unprinted paper about every ten minutes, but I still couldn't print.. I have no idea what that was all about. It stopped after one of the reinstalls. 

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This morning I re-booted the printer (which I had done before) and for some reason, now it's working just fine. Maybe it heard me saying that if I couldn't get it sorted out today I was buying a new one. Thanks for your help. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mike
Please try the following steps and let us know what happens. If it can print out these LAN details it would rule out an internal printer issue and point towards something related to either the pc or the method of communication.

By the way, do you have this setup wirelessly (using WiFI) or with a USB cable connecting to your computer? If wirelessly, and if this LAN details page prints, check about 14 lines down on the printout, where it says "Signal Strength" for a percentage indicating WiFI signal. Anything lower than 80% will be problematic and could account for the blank pages coming out.

To print the LAN details for your printer, follow the steps below.
Make sure that the printer is turned on.

Load two sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper.

Flick the HOME screen and tap Setup.
The menu screen appears.

Tap Device settings.

Tap LAN settings.

Tap Confirm LAN settings.

Tap Print LAN details.

Tap Yes.

The printer starts printing the network settings information.

I'm actually connecting through USB (which I have always done). 

Interestingly, when I try to print the LAN details, nothing happens. At the "Print LAN details? screen, I tap "yes" and I get a "beep" and the "yes" button briefly highlights, but nothing actually prints. 

This morning I re-booted the printer (which I had done before) and for some reason, now it's working just fine. Maybe it heard me saying that if I couldn't get it sorted out today I was buying a new one. Thanks for your help. 

matonanjin
Contributor

Yeah, I know this thread is 2 1/2 years old.  But in case anyone else does a search.  I have exactly the same problem.  

After sending a print job via Wi Fi to my printer from my wife's laptop I develped  this problem.  If I try and print from my computer, which is a desktop attached to the printer via USB, I get this message.  Turning the printer off and back on it will then print.

Any suggestions?

Hi, matonanjin! 
Did you perform the troubleshooting steps Mike suggested above? If so, what were the results? 

I have not yet. Thank you for the follow up!

I most likely will today.

matonanjin
Contributor

@Stephen, you are brilliant!!!  Actually, I just delayed until it somehow repaired itself.  😉  It's working.   This is the way I repair everything, including our house, automobiles, not just computer stuff.  I stall and eventually 1 of 2 things happens:    1)  It repairs itself (as in this), or 2) It becomes permanently damaged and I must replace it.
It's my life philosophy.

Thank you again for responding.

Announcements