cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer help - Canon PIXMA tr8520

Jack3
Contributor

How can I print BLACK onlywith this printer......I really have  minimal needs for printing anything in color.  Thanx in advance, Jack

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jack3,

The PIXMA TR8520 does not have a black only setting that can be enabled.  To print from only the black ink tank, the printer driver must be set to plain paper and the item that you are printing must be black.  Setting the PIXMA TR8520 to grayscale will cause the printer to combine all of the inks to make that shade of gray, so setting grayscale will not save on ink.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, follow up question please.......your statement  "the printer driver must be set to plain paper and the item that you are printing must be black"..............I'd sincerely appreciate knowing what you mean by "print driver" --- I'm just not familiar with some of these terms.........same for "plain paper" and "must be black"

I only have regular white paper (word docs, excel spred sheet, etc)....I just do not want to print color.

I can guess that I should be selecting 'black and white' when I say ' control print'      and then pick black and white only, ------ sorry, I just don't understand.  Thanx Jack3

Hi, follow up question please.......your statement "the printer driver must be set to plain paper and the item that you are printing must be black"..............I'd sincerely appreciate knowing what you mean by "print driver" --- I'm just not familiar with some of these terms.........same for "plain paper" and "must be black"

I only have regular white paper (word docs, excel spred sheet, etc)....I just do not want to print color.

I can guess that I should be selecting 'black and white' when I say ' control print' and then pick black and white only, ------ sorry, I just don't understand. Thanx Jack3

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jack3,

A printer driver or a print processor is a piece of software on a computer that converts the data to be printed to a format that a printer can understand.

When Patrick mentioned black only, that means the text in the document needs to be black. If there is any colors in the text, this will cause grayscale to change the colors to a dark gray. This uses the color inks to make gray and that is why it does not save ink.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jack3,

A printer driver or a print processor is a piece of software on a computer that converts the data to be printed to a format that a printer can understand.

When Patrick mentioned black only, that means the text in the document needs to be black. If there is any colors in the text, this will cause grayscale to change the colors to a dark gray. This uses the color inks to make gray and that is why it does not save ink.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements