cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2520 Printer driver unavailable

teach333
Apprentice

I am trying to connect Canon MG2520 to my new laptop using Windows 10. I download the driver and software, but when it gets to the Printer Connection stage, the process stops. Initially it says the printer IS detected and to wait for the installation to be completed. However, it never completes and eventually the message says the printer is NOT detected. I followed many troubleshooting suggestions for this problem multiple times to no avail. Printer is on, USB is connected to computer, etc.
The printer shows up in settings but says the driver is unavailable. I tried using Windows Update Wizard but this model printer is not on the list. I would appreciate any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you are unable to install your Canon PIXMA MG2520 on your Windows 10 computer.

When the printer is not being detected, I recommend uninstalling the printer driver, restarting your computer, and then reinstalling. While you are in the process of reinstalling, it is important to keep the printer turned off. Do not turn it on until the setup program asks you to turn it on and connect the cable.

Here are a few other helpful hints:

• Make sure that you are using a USB printer cable that is no longer than 6 feet.
  • If you have security software installed on your computer, we recommend disabling it while the setup program is running.
  • If the printer is not being detected by the setup program, please connect the USB cable to a different port directly on the computer (if available).
  • Do not connect the USB cable to an external USB device that is connected to the computer.
  • If you have a desktop computer, please use one of the USB ports located on the back of the computer.

You can follow these steps to delete the printer and uninstall the driver:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (normally located in the lower left corner of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  3. When the Run window opens, type the words < Control Printers > in the box and then click on OK.
  4. When the Devices and Printers window opens, right-click on the icon for the MG2500 series printer and select REMOVE DEVICE to delete the printer. If there is no MG2500 series listed, go to the next step.
  5. Close the Devices and Printers window.
  6. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (normally located in the lower left corner of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  7. When the Run window opens, type the words < Control Panel > in the box and then click on OK.
  8. When the Control Panel opens, click on UNINSTALL A PROGRAM or PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.
  9. When the list of programs opens, right-click on the Canon MG2500 series MP Drivers and select UNINSTALL.
  10. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the MP Drivers.
  11. Once the MP Drivers is removed from the list, close the Control Panel.
  12. Restart your computer.

After your computer has finished restarting, please select and download the MG2500 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 that is 14.90 MB (listed under Optional Drivers) from the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg...

When the file has finished downloading, please run it. When the setup program asks you to turn the printer on, please do that and make sure that the USB cable is firmly connected.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you are unable to install your Canon PIXMA MG2520 on your Windows 10 computer.

When the printer is not being detected, I recommend uninstalling the printer driver, restarting your computer, and then reinstalling. While you are in the process of reinstalling, it is important to keep the printer turned off. Do not turn it on until the setup program asks you to turn it on and connect the cable.

Here are a few other helpful hints:

• Make sure that you are using a USB printer cable that is no longer than 6 feet.
  • If you have security software installed on your computer, we recommend disabling it while the setup program is running.
  • If the printer is not being detected by the setup program, please connect the USB cable to a different port directly on the computer (if available).
  • Do not connect the USB cable to an external USB device that is connected to the computer.
  • If you have a desktop computer, please use one of the USB ports located on the back of the computer.

You can follow these steps to delete the printer and uninstall the driver:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (normally located in the lower left corner of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  3. When the Run window opens, type the words < Control Printers > in the box and then click on OK.
  4. When the Devices and Printers window opens, right-click on the icon for the MG2500 series printer and select REMOVE DEVICE to delete the printer. If there is no MG2500 series listed, go to the next step.
  5. Close the Devices and Printers window.
  6. Right-click on the Windows Start icon (normally located in the lower left corner of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  7. When the Run window opens, type the words < Control Panel > in the box and then click on OK.
  8. When the Control Panel opens, click on UNINSTALL A PROGRAM or PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.
  9. When the list of programs opens, right-click on the Canon MG2500 series MP Drivers and select UNINSTALL.
  10. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the MP Drivers.
  11. Once the MP Drivers is removed from the list, close the Control Panel.
  12. Restart your computer.

After your computer has finished restarting, please select and download the MG2500 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 that is 14.90 MB (listed under Optional Drivers) from the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg...

When the file has finished downloading, please run it. When the setup program asks you to turn the printer on, please do that and make sure that the USB cable is firmly connected.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

I have an imageCLASS D480 and had this issue.  The setup program (driver executable) didn't mention turning off the printer.  I turned off the printer, made sure the USB cable was connected, restarted Windows 10, turned on the printer, went to Setup/"Printers & Scanners," saw "Canon D460-490."  I checked the status by clicking on "Canon D460-490"/Manage and saw "Printer status:" = Idle. I ran a test print by clicking on "Print a test page."

HTH....

This solution worked for me! Thank you

I have now tried the uninstall restart reinstall steps a few times and I am having no luck. I am trying to get Pixma iP2840 to work on my HP laptop running windows 10. I would appreciate any other advice. 

Hi ViviLynn.

Welcome to The Canon Forums!

We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that your product appears to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA. While the community is welcome to chime in, the Canon Community Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I've been trying to install my new printer for DAYS and this finally did the trick!! 

Announcements