cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Offline and Rundll32

Martha5
Contributor

I have a TS9521c printer purchased August 8, 2020  and an HP Envy computer  with Windows 10 purchased Nov 30, 2020.

When I try to print, I get the messages saying the printer is offline. It also says there is a Rundll32. 

Yesterday the printer had a message about an update to the printer so I clicked on it, hoping this would solve the problem. It did not.  When I tried to run the troubleshooter, it told me to turn on the printer. It was on. I turned it off and then on again but it still said the printer is turned off.

The same thing happens on my Hp laptop with Windows 7 so I'm guessing that the problem is in the printer.

The same thing occured a couple of months ago but after about 2 days it started printing again.

Any ideas about what could be going on?  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I'm really learning a lot here but hope I don't have to use it again!   

There is no device listed that matches the printer MAC Address. The string of numbers apparently is my Grandaughter's laptop, since she went home and that device has moved to offline devices.  Could the 2 Amazon listings be Echo? I had forgotten about that since it is rarely used. 

On the router menu under AdvancedMenu is something called Port Triggering. 

Is this used here?

I really do appreciate your help.  More useful than the articles I have read!

View solution in original post

thanks. Printer now working

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Start by creating a reliable connection between your computer and printer.

USB

Ethernet

or

Wifi

If you are using a newtork connection, assign or configure a static IP for the printer.

Now remove it from Control Panel > Device and Printers, (right-click) "remove device"

Now uninstall all Canon Software from Control Panel > Programs and features

Restart your computer

Download the installation software from Canon's Support portal

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwOTYyNzAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Use it to reinstall the printer.

There is also an optional Security Patch that can be applied once the printer is installed again:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAxMDc0MzAy&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

The messages you are describing indicate a communications failure between your computer(s) and the printer.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you. I will try this. 
 The printer is connected by WiFi and the Wi Fi symbol appears on the printer's sceen.

"Start by creating a reliable connection between your computer and printer.
If you are using a network connection, assign or configure a static IP for the printer. "

I don't know how to do this. Is there a how-to link?

I have my IP information:

I found this article:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-set-a-printer-to-a-static-ip-address

Is this what you mean? Is there any chance that simply doing this would fix things?

If I uninstall and reinstall the printer is this done before the uninstall?

Greetings,

I'd suggest doing this on your router.  Any device connecting to the router wired or wireless can be assigned an IP you choose.  The routers job is to assign addresses, and it will do this randomly as devices "come and go" from the newtwork.  You printer however is always there, so it's helpful for its connection to be persistent.  You only need to do this once and moving forward you will always now the printer's IP and how to tel lother devices to "find' it.  

All router's even ones issued by your ISP have the capability to assign or reserve an IP address for a device.  Start by logging into the router, look for a listing of attached devices, then for reserve or assign an IP to a connected device ( printer in this case).  You'll do this before you remove and reinstall the device.

There is no need to go fumbling around in the operating system.  The router is what assigns IPs, so specify the address there.  Once set, power cycle the printer and ensure its using the IP your specified.  Now remove, uninstall software, restart and reinstall the printer again.

Why the printer is going "offline".  When you install the printer, the installtion sets up a connection using the IP address the router assigned the printer.  When you don't use a device for a while, the router might think its no longer connected and reclaim the IP it assigned previously.  Now you try to print again and the printer no longer has the IP your computer used before.  Communication fails.  There are some other pieces to this, but this is in general what's typically happening when a device goes offline in a wireless network situation.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the detailed information.   .

I am showing 5 connected devices, 3 of which could possibly be the printer

The first item is just a string of numbers with Wi-Fi 2.4G 

The other 2 Say Amazon with a string of numbers following. 1 is Wi-Fi 2.4G  and the other is Wi-Fi 5G

This IP Address info is posted with each of the 5 connected devices  

IPv4 Address   

IPv6 Address  2    *4 devices had this

Local Link IPv6 Address   

I did purchase the printer at Amazon so I am thinking that the printer might be  the one that is listed as Amazon 69a.... with the 2.4G WiFi.    I don't know why I have 2 Amazon names here unless both are the printer.   

Underneath the online devices list is this:

ADD DEVICE WITH RESERVED IP  

Should I click this in order to set the printer to a specific IP address?

Thank you for your patience in this.  

Greetings,

You are on the right track and very close to achieving what you need to do.  Your Canon printer will not display anything which has to do with Amazon.  

You have a dual band router which broadcasts on 2 frequencies.

2.4Ghz - Has a greater broadcast range, but lower bandwidth (throughput) capability.

5Ghz - This broadcast has a shorter broadcast (transmission) range, but is capable of more (faster) bandwidth and data throughput.

Your printer has 2.4Ghz radio only, and cannot connect to a 5Ghz broadcast.  

If you don't see any connected devices listed "connected' on the 2.4Ghz network, then the printer is not connected and this is for sure the reason why no comunication between your computer and printer is ocurring.  

Review page 71 and 72 of your User Guide:

TS9500 series Online Manual (c-wss.com)

Your printer can print its network configuration for you.  See page 72 (3-2-4) MAC Address.  You can use this to correctly identify the device on your router and then reserve the IP for that MAC Address/Device.

If the MAC address on the printer document does not appear in the list of attached "connected" device on the 2.4Ghz broadcast in your router, then the printer is not connected to your wireless network.  You are very close now.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm really learning a lot here but hope I don't have to use it again!   

There is no device listed that matches the printer MAC Address. The string of numbers apparently is my Grandaughter's laptop, since she went home and that device has moved to offline devices.  Could the 2 Amazon listings be Echo? I had forgotten about that since it is rarely used. 

On the router menu under AdvancedMenu is something called Port Triggering. 

Is this used here?

I really do appreciate your help.  More useful than the articles I have read!

thanks. Printer now working

Announcements