Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Printer Doesn't Recognize Refillable Ink Cartridges

[ Edited ]

Hello All.  My Canon TS9120 isn't recognizing my refilled ink cartridges. This particular printer is about 1 year old.  I've tried resetting the printer by removing the cartridges, then unplugging the printer, then powering back up and reinstalling the cartridges. This didn't work.

Then I tried holding down the "Stop" button for 5-6 seconds. The printer still gives the error message that ink is too low to print, however, it will print the page, but with very poor print quality.

The print cartridges are genuine Canon and I refilled them at Costco, so I have no reason to believe that the cartridges are not full of ink, nor are they knock-off brand cartridges.

Please advise to what steps I need to run through to get my printer working again. 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Printer Doesn't Recognize Refillable Ink Cartridges

Hi thekev99.

Canon genuine ink tanks are not designed to be refilled, and the ink levels cannot be reset.  Additionaly, ink provided or sold by refill services is considered third-party ink, regardless of the tank or cartridge into which it is placed.

Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers.

Canon genuine inks are formulated specifically for use in our ultra-precise print head. Our print head and inks work together as a precisely engineered system to support optimum image quality, print speed and reliability in higher resolution text and color printing applications.

Canon supplies and accessories can be purchased online at http://shop.usa.canon.com/, or by calling 1-800-385-2155 to speak to a Canon Direct Representative.

Should you decide to use inks manufactured by third parties in your Canon printer, and such inks cause damage to your product, this damage will not be covered under the product's limited warranty. Any repairs required as a result of such damage must be made at your expense.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Printer Doesn't Recognize Refillable Ink Cartridges

[ Edited ]

I admit I bought remanufactured refills that my printer will not only will recognize, but eventually completely stops printing whatever is in my que. Then it seems to insist that I buy direct from Canon online. I use my printer at home and rarely print anything.

Had I known this printer would not allow remanufactured refills, I would NOT have purchased this printer. This should be made extremely obvious in HUGE HIGHLIGHTED PRINT on the box. If it's in the fine print, sorry, that's not good enough.

What are my options here? I can't afford to have wasted money on cartridges I can't even use.