cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TS9120 Doesn't Recognize Refillable Ink Cartridges

thekev99
Apprentice

Hello All.  My Canon TS9120 isn't recognizing my refilled ink cartridges. This particular printer is about 1 year old.  I've tried resetting the printer by removing the cartridges, then unplugging the printer, then powering back up and reinstalling the cartridges. This didn't work.

Then I tried holding down the "Stop" button for 5-6 seconds. The printer still gives the error message that ink is too low to print, however, it will print the page, but with very poor print quality.

The print cartridges are genuine Canon and I refilled them at Costco, so I have no reason to believe that the cartridges are not full of ink, nor are they knock-off brand cartridges.

Please advise to what steps I need to run through to get my printer working again. 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Darius
Whiz

Hi thekev99.

Canon genuine ink tanks are not designed to be refilled, and the ink levels cannot be reset.  Additionaly, ink provided or sold by refill services is considered third-party ink, regardless of the tank or cartridge into which it is placed.

Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers.

Canon genuine inks are formulated specifically for use in our ultra-precise print head. Our print head and inks work together as a precisely engineered system to support optimum image quality, print speed and reliability in higher resolution text and color printing applications.

Canon supplies and accessories can be purchased online at http://shop.usa.canon.com/, or by calling 1-800-385-2155 to speak to a Canon Direct Representative.

Should you decide to use inks manufactured by third parties in your Canon printer, and such inks cause damage to your product, this damage will not be covered under the product's limited warranty. Any repairs required as a result of such damage must be made at your expense.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I admit I bought remanufactured refills that my printer will not only will recognize, but eventually completely stops printing whatever is in my que. Then it seems to insist that I buy direct from Canon online. I use my printer at home and rarely print anything.

Had I known this printer would not allow remanufactured refills, I would NOT have purchased this printer. This should be made extremely obvious in HUGE HIGHLIGHTED PRINT on the box. If it's in the fine print, sorry, that's not good enough.

What are my options here? I can't afford to have wasted money on cartridges I can't even use. 

Hello Mary--

I only recently saw your post from last year but have just had a similar experience with 
a Canon printer.

When the cartridges in my new ip110 began to run low, I took them to the printer ink

shop which used to refill the ones in my previous model--the ip90. I was told that these

newer cartridges had a "chip" which prevented them from being refilled and that one had

to purchase new ones. Having no choice, I did so. 

When I put them in my printer, the dreaded red light blinked. After several unsuccessful

troubleshoots, I phoned Canon and was told that third party inks wouldn't work. Although

the new cartridges looked identical to Canon's, they were in fact were third party.

I had just wasted over $25.00 on cartridges that I couldn't use and was faced with spending

almost twice as much for Canon's.

Given how fast printer ink depletes, the math is grim. I completely agree with you that this caution 

shouldn't be buried in the warranty's fine print, but should be WRIT LARGE ON THE PACKAGING

AS WELL AS IN THE SET-UP INSTRUCTIONS.

Canon's reasons for making this change from one model to the next are mercenary in the extreme, 

as third party inks worked just fine in the ip90.  Ethically, the company scores an F grade.

There is a workaround for the problem of third party colour ink not being recognized by the Canon Pixma ip110--

as long as you don't mind being limited to B/W printing.

Go ahead and purchase the 3rd party cartridges in colour and B/W and install them both. As long as there is any cartridge (that isn't empty) in the colour bay of the printhead, you can still do black and white printing, The ip110 doesn't seem to have 

a problem with 3rd party B/W ink. (I don't know if this is also true of other Canon ink cartridge printers, but it could be worth a 

try)

Just MAKE SURE to adjust the printer to Greyscale. On a mac, go into the options dropdown in the print window and select "quality and media". A small box will appear at the bottom of the page beside "greyscale printing". Click the box and you're 

good to go. From henceforth, you'll just need to buy a replacement 3rd party cartridge when the the B/W in runs out. Much more economical.

pattig916
Apprentice

I was having the same problem with cartridges refilled at Costco, which I always use.  I tried the Costco troubleshooting site and found out that the "SETUP" cartridges that came with my printer are NO SUPPORTED for refilling. Bingo! Issue solved once I installed other refilled cartridges. Now, I just have to get Costco to refund the $$ I spent refilling those setup cartridges so I can buy another set of full sized ones!

blandyna
Apprentice

I read somewhere that my Pixma MG5220 "remembers" the last 5 sets of tanks and that refilling one and reinstalling it will trigger the not recognized message.  I read this after I had used up a couple refillable cartridges in the printer.  I had refilled the empty cartridge and reinstalled it, getting the message.  Then, I put in another full cartridge and continued until the same thing happened on another refillable cartridge.  Is there any truth to this printer's memory?  

TigreBlanche
Apprentice

I moved from France recently with a Canon Pixma that worked just fine, but was dismayed after wasting money on genuine Canon cartridges to find that my printer didn't recognize them and I would have to spend even more money to purchase the European versions  So, I bought a re-inking kit and discovered that won't work for me either.  What a waste of money.  I will buy a new printer.  It will not be a Canon.  

I don't have a direct answer to your issue, but i am just confused as to how your printer would know that it was relocated to France?

I know for my Pro-100 (I am in the US) some official Canon cartridges say EU Only and have an icon of a trash barrel with an "X" across it. It means that in the EU don't discard the cartridges in the trash, not that the ink will only work in the EU.

Sounds like something else might be going on.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements