cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print only in black pima mx922 mac os high sierra

lmoor321
Apprentice

Hello,

I've searched high and low and simply cannot get any straight answers.

I have a Pixma MX922 and a Mac running OS High Sierra.

How can i print only in black ,using only pgbk, and not any of my other ink colors. Tried a number of things and it looks like everything refers to "grayscale" but i don't have that option.

Help and thanks in advance for your time!!

4 REPLIES 4

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please perform the following to create a Grayscale preset for use in different programs:

1.  Open the Applications folder.
2.  Open the Textedit program.  When the program is open, a small white window will appear.
3.  Click File at the top left corner and choose Print.
4.  In the Print dialog screen, look for a "Show Details" option towards the bottom, click this to expand the menu for more options.
5.  Look for the third or fourth dropdown menu, labeled as "Textedit".
6.  Expand this Menu and choose "Quality and Media".
7.  In the Quality and Media menu, check the box labeled "Grayscale".
8.  Next, look towards the top for the second dropdown menu, labeled "Presets".

Once there, save a new preset as Black and White or Grayscale.  Make sure to select the new preset before printing from any other programs on the Mac.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Michael for answering my question so quickly. Unfortunately when i go into textedit/media & quality, there isn't a box labeled "grayscale". 

i however can go to the default settings box and choose "black and white". Thought that if I chose this and then save current pre-set that it would stick, but as soon as i got out of it and went back in to check, it reverted back to the original preset.

With working from home during this time,  and the cost of ink, i should could use all of the help i can get in using as little ink as needed to print.

Hoping you have another solution?

Hi lmoor321,

The PIXMA MX922 will use color ink tanks to print colored text.  Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MX922 will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black.

To use only the black ink tank (PGBK), the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for Patrick - that is disheartening. Working from home means printing alot of paper and the ink is sooo expensive that using the printer is become cost prohibitive 😞

Will definately make sure my next printer will not have this issue.

Thanks again.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements