Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Please advise what to do with support code error 1660 - printer not recogniseing ink tank.

I'm dismayed to see how many users are affected by this fault 'cartridge not recognised'. I'm in the UK and my Pixma MG3650 is 18 months old.  Although a perfectly good color cartridge was installed and in use the printer decided spontaneously to give this error for the color cartridge.  Needless to say the printer will now not accept a new Canon color cartridge.  What is really galling is that I cannot just print in BLACK while this fault remains.  Has anybody really managed to clear this?  

How can I print in black with this error?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Please advise what to do with support code error 1660 - printer not recogniseing ink tank.

If you still cannot get the printer to recognize the new ink cartridge you may have a damaged pin. Look carefully to see if all of the pins that contact the ink cartridge are pointing straight upwards. I had the same problem and found one of the pins folded over on it's side. I carefully used a tweezer to straighten it and now it's working fine again. You may need a magnifying glass and a flashlight to get a good look at it. Good luck!

New Contributor

Yes, All of a sudden, even with ink tanks full my printer is not recognizing the fact and will not print.  What should I do?

New Contributor

This exactly what happened with mine - a pin problem, except 2 of my pins were pushed down and I am currently using a tweezers and a flashlight + some readers (gawd) to get them back in place. We'll see if I'm successful. Thank you for the idea, though. At least I am empowered to try to fix vs. just throwing the whole **bleep** thing away

New Contributor

This problem has been going on for YEARS! A cynical view would be that it is in Canon's financial interest NOT to resolve reoccurring problems like these. 

Printer MG5450

I have just returned from 10 days holiday. Before I went printer OK - all cartridges are Canon original.

On return - powered up printer and Support Code 1660 - 'The following ink tank cannot be recognised' - Cyan Cartridge

Re-cycled power - same problem

Removed mains power for >10mins - same problem

Replaced original Canon cartridge with another original Canon Cartridge - same problem

Unseated ALL cartridges, inspected contact pins, cleaned contacts pins and cartridge contacts and reseated - same problem

I live on the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean - telephoning a US based Canon support centre is not an option - the call would cost more than the printer!

Canon - email me with suggestions??

Community - suggestions?

New Contributor

Further to my posting about the Error Code:1660

I sent a 'detailed' message to the Canon Printer Centre of Excellance in the US. With all their years of experience and training and after thoughtful consideration I had a reply that said to take it to a Canon Service Centre - Really! Man Sad

I did manage to contact a Canon agent, who is over 100 miles away and he was very helpful although he is mostly sales.

The Error Code:1660

• If not a bad contact on the print tank base (dirty contact or bent pin), then it is almost certain to be due to a problem with the print head
  • He quoted 120 Euro (138US$) for a replacement!!
  • His other piece of very useful information, which I have seen posted on this sight previously - is that you should NEVER switch your printer off. Mine was switched off for 2 weeks while I was on holiday.

If you feel capable you can remove and clean the print head yourself - nothing to lose if its not working. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of how to do this.

I went into my local computer shop and was informed that they clean their print heads with local very potent alcohol! The drinking type.

My printer is now working - when I was entering the computer repair shop, the heavy glass door swung shut and gave it a mighty bang!Smiley LOL

My printers will now never be switched off.

New Contributor

I have a canon MX 927 series and i am facing similar problem of not recognising the Magenta Ink showing error code 1410"the ink tank can not be recognised"

when i place the sane ink tank in other slots it has no problem but it does not recognise any ink tank in the M slot. i have checked all the pins , they are all clean and straight. No problem with the contacts.

please advise