cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please advise what to do with support code error 1660 - printer not recogniseing ink tank.

wendyg
Apprentice

Please advise what to do when printer will not print, and support Code error 1660 identifies an the error:  "The folloiwng ink tank can not be recognised".. [Also note:  I went out and purchased and installed a brand new Magenta ink tank and the error remains].

Assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Wendy

24 REPLIES 24

kenodan
Contributor

If you still cannot get the printer to recognize the new ink cartridge you may have a damaged pin. Look carefully to see if all of the pins that contact the ink cartridge are pointing straight upwards. I had the same problem and found one of the pins folded over on it's side. I carefully used a tweezer to straighten it and now it's working fine again. You may need a magnifying glass and a flashlight to get a good look at it. Good luck!

This exactly what happened with mine - a pin problem, except 2 of my pins were pushed down and I am currently using a tweezers and a flashlight + some readers (gawd) to get them back in place. We'll see if I'm successful. Thank you for the idea, though. At least I am empowered to try to fix vs. just throwing the whole **bleep** thing away

electroliquid
Apprentice

Hi, this might be obvious but mine wanted PM photo magenta instead of Magenta.  I thought that I had put PM in PM slot but was wrong, it was just M, so even though it lit up that was the issue, perhaps double check that you are putting the right color.  I have off market ink, too, so I thought it might be that.

Hope this helps anyone else, double check that it's the right cartidge!

If you still cannot get the printer to recognize the new ink cartridge you may have a damaged pin. Look carefully to see if all of the pins that contact the ink cartridge are pointing straight upwards. I had the same problem and found one of the pins folded over on it's side. I carefully used a tweezer to straighten it and now it's working fine again. You may need a magnifying glass and a flashlight to get a good look at it. Good luck!

I have a canon MX 927 series and i am facing similar problem of not recognising the Magenta Ink showing error code 1410"the ink tank can not be recognised"

when i place the sane ink tank in other slots it has no problem but it does not recognise any ink tank in the M slot. i have checked all the pins , they are all clean and straight. No problem with the contacts.

please advise

don43
Apprentice

I'm dismayed to see how many users are affected by this fault 'cartridge not recognised'. I'm in the UK and my Pixma MG3650 is 18 months old.  Although a perfectly good color cartridge was installed and in use the printer decided spontaneously to give this error for the color cartridge.  Needless to say the printer will now not accept a new Canon color cartridge.  What is really galling is that I cannot just print in BLACK while this fault remains.  Has anybody really managed to clear this?  

How can I print in black with this error?

Orchid
Apprentice

Yes, All of a sudden, even with ink tanks full my printer is not recognizing the fact and will not print.  What should I do?

Kenshiro
Apprentice

This problem has been going on for YEARS! A cynical view would be that it is in Canon's financial interest NOT to resolve reoccurring problems like these. 

Printer MG5450

I have just returned from 10 days holiday. Before I went printer OK - all cartridges are Canon original.

On return - powered up printer and Support Code 1660 - 'The following ink tank cannot be recognised' - Cyan Cartridge

Re-cycled power - same problem

Removed mains power for >10mins - same problem

Replaced original Canon cartridge with another original Canon Cartridge - same problem

Unseated ALL cartridges, inspected contact pins, cleaned contacts pins and cartridge contacts and reseated - same problem

I live on the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean - telephoning a US based Canon support centre is not an option - the call would cost more than the printer!

Canon - email me with suggestions??

Community - suggestions?

LOU2U2
Apprentice
I've used this machine but a few times and today right now I got the same code .. lots of ink left in it too and original cartridges. Very concerning to read this issue is bigger than known of. I'm sure Canon doesn't care since they got the money for a bad product. So if you have no warranty then ur robbed, because it's a bigger issue then they'll want to own up to.

subybohn
Apprentice
Twice I've purchased a Cannon Pixma and twice after changing out the ink cartridges with Cannon ink cartridges, the printer has errored, never to work again. Ironically, this last time was also the Magenta.
Announcements