cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma922 does NOT print color (or CYAN) even after removing & cleaing printheads

zanfei
Apprentice

This is teh MOST frustating thing. Have reserached this a lot. Removed the printheads and flushed with hot water for 10 minutes. Perfectly clean. Still does NOT print any color or CYAN. So when the original is color and I select black & white or grayscale, anything that was previously in color does NOT print. This is frustrating. Any other suggestions other than going to buy a new HP printer?

5 REPLIES 5

Chris_K
Contributor
The only time I had this happen was when the color was slightly off from the original color. For example, the red has to be 251M magenta. (My husband bought one shade off with a letter or something different.) Otherwise, you might have to take it in for repair or buy a new printer. (Hate making the decision to repair when new printers can be not much more in cost.)

The colors are the exact ones for this printer so I may need to purchase a new one since I've done as much troubleshooting as I possibly can.

Curious how long this printer last you. I have a Pixma 922 that I've had for at least 8 yrs. and still works great. It's upsetting how companies today manufacture planned obsolescence into machines (computers) to last only about 5 years. Horrible electronic landfills, too.

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Zanfei,

Thank you for your contribution to the Canon Community Forum. I see that the nozzles for your PIXMA MX922 are clogged. When the ink is no longer appearing on the page, it is likely that the nozzles are dry. It would be like writing with a pen that has a dry tip: No ink will come out.

Soaking the print head in hot water or any other cleaning method found on the Internet is not recommended. Any other method of cleaning the nozzles (besides the option offered by the printer) can damage the print head or the printer.

We do recommend using the printer once every two weeks to keep the nozzles fresh. When the nozzles clog, we recommend following the procedures in the following article:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/MX920%20series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1000.html

Waiting 6-8 hours between cleanings and deep cleanings is recommended. That will give the fresh ink a little time to soak through the clog and loosen it. If the ink does not appear in the test pattern after three deep cleanings, there may be an issue with the printer, or the nozzles may be too dry to unclog.

The printer does come with a one-year warranty, but you can purchase a warranty extension on or around the time of purchase.  If the printer’s one-year warranty has expired and you did not purchase a warranty extension, you do qualify for our Canon Upgrade Program. This program allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a new or refurbished product that uses Canon’s newest technologies, including such features as built-in WiFi, Airprint and Cloud Print, carries a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty, and to help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free ground shipping.

To take advantage of this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time), Monday through Saturday. Let them know you have been working with Canon Community support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

I hope this information helps.

I have used the printer every day since purchased. I do a lot of printing. I have purchased replacement cartridges many times over.

Then one day, the printer just stopped printing anything initially in color. It would not print color, and it would not print black and white from the colored originals.

I then spent hours and hours and days researching this issue and then trying every known resolution mentioned. I have cleaned the heads; I don't know how many times, and nothing works.

I could not print anything that was in color, then one day, I opened a PDF using Microsoft Edge. I was able to print in black and white something that was initially in color, which perplexed me further.

Hence, as it stands now, I can print an original colored version as a black& white or grayscale, only through Microsoft Edge. Any other opening of any document or printing a screenshot containing color will not print anything for any colored components.

I read the link you sent. Everything that's listed there I've already tried, so I am still where I was originally

Announcements