cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma mx922 needs BOTH black ink cartridges??

azslp1842
Apprentice

Does my pixma mx922 need BOTH black ink cartridges to print black?? Both the 251 and the larger 250?? I replaced the 251 but it gives me the message that it's low on ink and most of the black areas on my printing aren't filled in...

2 REPLIES 2

Ramona
Authority

Hi azslp1842,

The printer requires all ink tanks be installed in the printer in order to print.  The black ink tank that is used when printing depends on the settings in the printer driver.  The printer uses the larger black ink tank when printing text on pages and when you are printing single-sided documents on plain paper.  If a paper type other than plain paper is selected, or if duplex (double-sided) printing is being performed, the printer will use a combination of the color ink tanks in the unit (including the small black ink tank) to make the text or image on the page.  

If the text on pages is missing, you can try performing a print head cleaning on the unit to try and get the black ink to print.  If the ink still does not print, we recommend replacing the larger black ink tank in the unit.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Surely, in this day and age of conservation, it cannot be true that 2-sided printing requires that the smaller, pigment-based ink tank be used!!!

Canon should be embarrassed not to have put in place a workaround for this.

I have two of the 922 printers, but will not buy another, unless the company does not provide some mechanism for doing this going forward.

Tom

Announcements