cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma TS9120 = TS9160? Are Inks CLI-281 ~ CLI-681 interchangable?

PaulANormanNZ
Apprentice

Hi,

Can the Pixma TS9160 use the CLI-280 (Black) and CLI-281 (colors) inks please?

Are the TS9160 and TS9120 just regional varinats of the same thing?

I have seen on unofficial web sites that the CLI- 280 / 281 inks support all the TS9100 series range, is that so?

Are there other equavalent inks that the TS9160 can also use please?

TIA

Paul

3 REPLIES 3

Danny

Hi, Paul! Thanks for posting.

Canon PGI-280 and CLI-281 ink cartridges are specifically designed for use in North American Canon printer models only, including the PIXMA TS9120. They are not interchangeable with inks for non-North American models. We recommend checking the manual for your PIXMA TS9160 and using only the ink cartridges specified therein.

We hope this clears things up!

Thanks Danny,

I had already tried our local official New Zealand, (South Pacific), Canon office, and was left to having to look in here, as the email transcript below my signature will show.

In our jurisdiction, we have a "Parallel Import" law which allows us to import from across various world regions, which is essential when ever we are caught with the apparent neglect shown below... 

We had had to write to Canon as their web site seemed to be not up to date, an image is attached that is referred to in the email chain below.

The reply we got to our enquiry from Canon N.Z.  failed on these pooints I beleive:

1)  to address two of the necessary inks at all,

2)  say when the missing four (if you include 680 PGBK) would be in stock

3)  even indicate what sizes were / would / when - be available

4)  give any current pricing, discounts, or promotional information at all.

From our perspective a hopeless and less than useful situation. We really need to know about XL and XXL sizes, and even to have information volunteered on the 680 PGBK obviously as well.

I have also heard from an associate in another enterprise who has just had a similar problem with the same Canon office.

So you may understand why our national Government has been wise to permit Parallel Importing to our nation - and that is why I came to this Forum for help and assistance, as we can evidently not get official help at present locally, unless they change their way of handling client enquiries and actually want ongoing sales 🙂

Sad for me personally really as I have dealt with, and had come to rely on, Canon for decades in meeting photographic equipment and printer needs.

What astounds me is that Canon have locally just been running a promotion on these printers - and seem to have given no thought at all to making sure inks would be available for them for people to buy!

Here below is the transcript ordered by date... I have rendered the indiviudal agent's name unrecognisable.

Thanks again, what else could we do now  please?

Kind regards,

Paul

- - - -

(the offical trace back on it is:
ref:_00D90gg1E._5000o2PNO1B:ref )

My original message:-

Sent: Wednesday, 3 April 2019 2:15 p.m.
To: CameraService (Canon NZ)
Subject: Photographic & Consumer Product Sales - CLI-681 inks for our new TS9160

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]
Please report any suspicious attachments, links or requests for sensitive information

Hi,

We recently got a TS9160 primarily to use for printing on DvDs.

I was on your NZ site today looking for CLI-681 inks for our new TS9160 and all I could find was greyed out entries - example attached.

No CLI-681 inks for new TS9160.jpg

Do you still have any of these inks available please?

TIA

Paul

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 3/04/2019 2:45 PM
To: supplies@canon.co.nz
Subject: FW: Photographic & Consumer Product Sales - CLI-681 inks for our new TS9160

-----Original Message-----

Hi Camera,

Regards,

Xxxx Xxxxxxxx
Sales and Service Support Consultant
Canon New Zealand Ltd 28 The Warehouse Way Northcote Auckland
P: 0800 222 666 | W: http://www.canon.co.nz

Short on time Want to be able to order whenever suits your business?

Use our online portal to order toner and other consumables, request service calls and download drivers
https://www.canon.co.nz/business/support

Access user manuals for Canon Business models with easy to follow instructions for trouble shooting here
https://oip.manual.canon/portal-au-nz/frame_htmls/home.html

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your email 

Cyan and Yellow Ink not in stock but we do have Black and Magenta in stock.

Thanks&Regards
Xxxxx Xxxxxxxx

Canon New Zealand.

- - - -

And that was all the communication that we have received, unbelievable!!!

I sent this in locally - lets see if they care to help...

- - - -

Paul Norman
P.O. Box xxxx
Axxxe
Auckland xxxx

Mr. Tony Wills,
Managing Director,
Canon New Zealand Limited,

Akoranga Business Park,
28 The Warehouse Way,
Northcote,
Auckland,  0627

Thursday 4th April 2019

'Reiwa ... the name means that culture is born and nurtured as the people "beautifully care about each other." '1

Dear Mr. Wills,

As a very loyal customer of Canon for many years (but just a mere lowly statistic I realise), I was very disturbed to have the following problem as shown in the attached printable pdf. <as per posting above>

I really do believe in supporting local industry and jobs, but if New Zealanders are not to start Parallel Importing supplies more, or reaching out for other product entirely, we really need Canon New Zealand to function well and in a sincerely caring way.

I am concerned that an associate in another enterprise has also just shared with me having a very similar lack of communication and accuracy on a pricing problem as well, I have BCC-ed him into this email, he can come forward separately, if he feels its worth bothering any more...

I really can not believe that I have been put to so much trouble over what should be a very straight forward and very small thing.

I do really hope that you can get back to me with some real solid positive far sighted progress please; New Zealand is a very small place and we need corporates like the local Canon to function really well, or through neglect and a consequent  dwindling customer base, we will loose those direct international connections and supply chains.

As the Japanese Prime Minster of your parent companies nation just said, when announcing Naruhito's new Imperial Era of: Reiwa,

' ... the name means that culture is born and nurtured as the people "beautifully care about each other." '2

Yours sincerely,

Paul A. Norman

1. https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/japan-era-naruhito-reiwa-62082070

2 ibid

Announcements