cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma TR8520 won’t print draft on Mac OS

EastSide
Apprentice

Will Canon be providing correct MAC OS drivers to allow draft printing. My kids are now home due to this Pandemic and I need to print ALOT. I also lost my job and cannot afford inks.

Will there be a driver made available to allow full functionality of this printer? Canon should really do this. Alot of people need help.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

First, completely agree that software companies need to provide updates.

However, here's a workaround that hopefully will help to reduce ink.

When you select print, don't send to the printer, but use the PDF popup menu in the lower-left-corner of the print dialog and select 'Save as PDF'.  Set the file name and destination as needed.

Open the saved PDF in the Preview app.   Use 'Tools' | 'Annotate' | Rectangle to add a white rectangle to the page.   Show the colors inspector for the rectangle and set the opacity to 50% or whatever value makes sense.   Resize the rectangle to cover the contents of the page.  You can then copy and paste that rectangle onto all other pages in the document.

Basically, you're decreasing the contrast.

I'll also use trick with fully white opaque rectangles over any areas that don't need to be printed (e.g. banners).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Darius
Whiz

Hi EastSide.

The TR8520 was developed to use Airprint drivers when connected through Mac OS as part of Apple's push, in cooperation with printer manufacturers, for longer-term support of printers.  Any changes to the driver will be by and through Apple.

It's possible other users can provide you with tips to improve ink efficiency when printing.  Keep in mind that all of the ink tanks will need to be in good order for the MX922 to operate.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements