cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma TR4520 won't complete scans

Containerman
Apprentice

I set up a new PixmaTR4520 yesterday. When I try to scan the scan iniitiates. I hear the scanning in progress as indicated by the message on my computer. However I then get a message "cannot communicate w/scanner" and error code 2,157,50.

I have the right scanner designated, and it's obviously communicating since a scan hear the scan process. This happens with both of my Dell laptops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I called the help number and spoke with a wonderful tech who talked me through the problem very quickly. Turns out in spite of having the printer immediately adjacent to the router the signal was too weak. A re-boot of the router immediately solved the problem.

View solution in original post

Hi, Containerman.

I'm happy to hear that the problem has been resolved.  As an addendum, wifi devices and access points create a certain amount of "signal noise" around themselves.  If the printer and router are too close, this noise can cause the signal between the printer and router to behave as poorly as if they are too far apart. 

The ideal distance I recommend is no closer than ~ 2 ft (about two forearm lengths, if you do not have a ruler or measuring tape available).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which version(s) of Windows your computers are using as well as the way you connect to your printer (USB or WiFi). It's also helpful to know which software you're using to initiate the scan.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account and discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

Both computers run the most recent version of Windows 10. Connection is wi-fi. I'm using the software supplied with the printer: IJ Scan Utility. Thanks.

I called the help number and spoke with a wonderful tech who talked me through the problem very quickly. Turns out in spite of having the printer immediately adjacent to the router the signal was too weak. A re-boot of the router immediately solved the problem.

Hi, Containerman.

I'm happy to hear that the problem has been resolved.  As an addendum, wifi devices and access points create a certain amount of "signal noise" around themselves.  If the printer and router are too close, this noise can cause the signal between the printer and router to behave as poorly as if they are too far apart. 

The ideal distance I recommend is no closer than ~ 2 ft (about two forearm lengths, if you do not have a ruler or measuring tape available).

I have very similar problem except my TR4520 is set up via USB. Windows 10. The scanner carriage moves and does everything except scan (the light does not come on). I replaced the printer with another TR4520 that had never been used-same exact reaction, so I do not think it could be the bulb. I reinstalled drivers from canon website, no change I have tried the scanner included with Windows as well as The Canon Utility Scanner.

Announcements