cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX922 printing blank pages

bocaboy
Contributor

My Pixma MX922 has suddenly started printing nothing but blank pages. It doesn't matter whether I try and print on letter or photo paper. I've done a dozen deep cleanings to no avail. I went on YouTube to learn how to remove and clean the print head. Still no difference.

This printer is only 2½ years old. I'm astounded that it has stopped working, especially since I thought Canon was a premium brand. I've Googled the problem and I'm really surprised how wide spread it is. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has ever solved the problem, or whether this is another $85 down the toilet.

I've talked to Tech Support and they suggested a new print head. As I said, I removed and cleaned the print head and still got nothing but blank pages. I don't want to throw good money after bad, especially since I've yet to read of one user who replaced the print head and fixed the problem.

So, the question is open to this fine forum: has anyone actually fixed the problem of a Pixma MX922 printing blank pages? If you'd be kind enough to share the solution, I'd sure appreciate it, as I'm sure many others would as well.

Thanks to all!

63 REPLIES 63

kereynolds
Contributor

I have had the same problem from time to time.  It just happened again.  This time after trying a number of suggestions, I removed the ink cartridges and put them back in.  Turned off the printer and turned it back on.  It tried to copy a document and it printed.  I then tried print from the computer and it worked.  Go figure!

Canon needs to do a better job of resolving this issue.  It's a real nuisance! 

I just tried my own fix. This time it didn't work.

Same exact issue! Tried the cartridge removal/turnon/off/printpage solution and amazingly, it worked! Thank you for sharing this. As I've had many problems with my Canon MX922, I plan on using your forum in the future. Thanks again!

only to report that a week or so after this fix, the printer finally died.  Wife was trying to print something for our son (remote learning crap) and the printer came on, as it usually did; then just died.  nothing we did could bring it back from this.  it simply wouldn't turn on.  

kid has a nack for taking things apart, and being as printers are so cheap these days, we gave this one to him for a good 2-3 days worth of disassembling electronics to see what makes them tick, and then discarded it all. 

as many issues as this one seemed to have towards the end, at work I have had even more issues with brother and hp ones.  and from personal experience I would also NOT touch another hp unless it was gifted to me. 

so, bought another canon. a TR8500 this time.  doesn't use the same cratridges as this pixma did, but still has the separate cartridges and is a multifunction piece.  so far so good, makes some strange noises on startup, but seems a solid unit.  time will tell, I'm glad I found this forum and will post any updates I can as we give this one some good runs. 

celmarch08
Apprentice

(not mx922 but...) I just bought my Pixma MG3620 a week ago and just set it up on Saturday. And already I'm having the issue where I can NOT print photos. (the whole reason why I bought the printer in the first place)

I am so annoyed right now, kmt. 

TimothyW1686
Contributor

I had an issue simlar to this...

It started spitting out blank paper but not just one or two it went though the whole entire tray of like 100 sheets or more I just figured it was a fluke.

Well few days after I made a copy of something and then I left the house, I came back home to hear my printer running and I looked and what do I see?

My printer had again spit out all 100 + sheets of paper except this time it also printed what I had just copied even though I specificed only ONE copy so because of that I had to throw away over 100 sheets of printer paper

Itshouldjuswork
Apprentice
I have the same problem, blanks pages. It sounds like it is printing but no ink. Well, the following is not a total break through but it might lend a clue. In copy mode, change the intensity from Auto to +1, it prints but still not from an application. So, I believe there is hope.

partt
Apprentice

I fixed the probme by going to printer setting on the computer and wnt ot "Main" and change the print quality from standard to high.  I made it the default settings.

PDIT
Contributor

I have seen this problem with many of the Canon 5 & 6 cartridge inkjet printer models. The symptom is that the printer suddenly stops printing ink onto the page even though the cartridges all contain ink and the print-head is not blocked. By suddenly, I mean one printjob prints perfect and the next is totally blank.  Printing out a nozzle test also results in a completely blank page.

This appears to be a software issue and I have rectified this many times on multiple printers using the following method to "reboot" the software after clearing the internal memory. Note this does NOT apply if printhead is blocked with dried ink!

1. Open the access to the cartridges with the printer on.
  2. Remove all the cartridges
  3. Pull the power cable and USB cable from the printer to trun it off leaving the printhead in position
  4. Press and hold the power button to clear any remaining charge from the powerpack
  5. Pull or lift the retaining bar from the printhead cradle and remove the printhead
  6. Check for damage or foreign objects like pieces of paper just in case!
  7. Replace printhead and return retaining bar to lock position
  8. Replace cartridges
  9. Close access cover
  10. Reconnect printer to power cord. (at least 1 minute should have elapsed since step 4.)
  11. Turn printer on
  12. Navigate to setup menu and print a nozzle test page. If all ok continue. If still blank then try the above again or call canon support or just give up on this printer.
  13. If test page is showing some or all test bars then the memory problem has been solved.
  14. Reconnect USB cable if used.

Note that steps 5-7 are not always necessary but it does force the printer to go through additional boot-up sequence and seems to be neccessary sometimes.

Good luck!

Announcements