cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX922 printing blank pages

bocaboy
Contributor

My Pixma MX922 has suddenly started printing nothing but blank pages. It doesn't matter whether I try and print on letter or photo paper. I've done a dozen deep cleanings to no avail. I went on YouTube to learn how to remove and clean the print head. Still no difference.

This printer is only 2½ years old. I'm astounded that it has stopped working, especially since I thought Canon was a premium brand. I've Googled the problem and I'm really surprised how wide spread it is. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has ever solved the problem, or whether this is another $85 down the toilet.

I've talked to Tech Support and they suggested a new print head. As I said, I removed and cleaned the print head and still got nothing but blank pages. I don't want to throw good money after bad, especially since I've yet to read of one user who replaced the print head and fixed the problem.

So, the question is open to this fine forum: has anyone actually fixed the problem of a Pixma MX922 printing blank pages? If you'd be kind enough to share the solution, I'd sure appreciate it, as I'm sure many others would as well.

Thanks to all!

63 REPLIES 63

jessicasmartt
Apprentice

Just adding my story in case it's helpful. Mine wasn't this model but same problem. Talked with tech support, did all his recs, and he said it's done and to buy a new one. I just didn't want to give up so easily. I did the "align print head automatically" step, which he didn't suggest. It gave me an error code saying it could not complete, so I followed instructions I found somewhere  that said to remove cartridges, unplug, hold power button for 60 seconds. Felt weird, but I thought what the heck! When I turned printer back on, I was able to complete the head alignment. Then I tried the nozzle check and it printed! And then copied!!! I think there was a glitch in the system somewhere and obvioulsy not a hardware issue. So there's something else to try? Oh, and I prayed! Just saying! 😉

magarzamichael
Apprentice

I was having the same issue with my Canon (MX920). It kept printing blank pages. I tried many different solutions including printing different file formats, fonts, updating the driver, powering off and on for potential memory issues, and different maintenance tests. Finally, I found a solution that worked for me.

In the Maintenance settings of my printer I went to Print Nozzle Check Pattern. After the printer prints out the test page, it asks if the printed test looks like one of two patters. It gives the option to select which pattern; a normal looking grid or an uneven looking grid.

Even though I thought the test print looked fine, I selected the uneven option (b). by selecting this option, the printer offers to clean the nozzle which I selected. After the third time of repeating this process, new sections of the test print began to show. 

I repeated this process about 10 times before the printer started printing normally again. 

Thank you magarzamichael for this suggestion. I printed the nozzle page and it showed all of the colors however, it showed no bar or anything on the top of the page, for the large black ink cartridge. I knew it was missing because the screen shows an example of what the page should look like. I tried the cleaning button a couple times to no avail. I then tried the deep clean button, for the black only. I printed the nozzle page and the top bar printed, but wasn't quite full. So I performed the deep clean on just the black again. Then I printed 3 seperate documents with no issues. Yay. By unclogging my black ink jet I have good quality printing now. In retospect I had left my printer sit unused for months and months, so a clog occurring would make sense. TY TY TY

krychwa
Apprentice

Our printer is suddenly only printing blank pages.  It will copy fine and it scans fine.  Two computers connected to it (one is wired and one is wireless) and both have the same issue.  Printer was working fine yesterday and suddenly this morning it won't print.

I have tried rebooting (PC and Printer).  I have tried completely powering down and draining the powerpack (unplugging and holding the power off button until drained).  I have tried uninstalling the printer and reinstalling the printer.  Nothing seems to work.  I even tried the advice that was posted about uninstalling the ink cartridges.  There is ink in the printer.

One thing to note, when I say that the printer prints blank pages, I mean that I send one page to print and it attempts to print the page and spits out a blank page, but then continually attempts to print and does so until I stop it.  When watching the printer information while it's attempting to print, it says that it's "preparing to print", etc. and prints the blank page, then it briefly says "offline" and then it's "online" and then it tries to print again.

Any suggestions?  

Hi Krychwa,

A question.

Did you say you can scan and copy -- just not print from the computer?

I had a slightly different issure with my printer (MG7520) which was it wouldn't copy or print from the computer either.

The printer went through the motions (and sounds) of printing -- but just pushed out blank paper.

I went through the procedure suggested by another user on the forum, PDIT.

The last step was to remove the print head.

I did that and after re-installing the print head and ink cartrdiges, voila, the printer worked again.

Apparently doing these actions "reboots" the printer.

Just a suggestion.

Danty, thanks for letting us know how you were able to restore your printer. As for mine, nothing worked and the printer is long since in the garbage. We replaced it with an Epson that has been working great for over two years, unlike its Canon cousin.

BuddyPickles
Apprentice

My Pixma MX922 printer was printing test pages just fine, but when I went to print something from my computer, or tried to copy something, it behaved as if it were printing, but produced a blank page.

My solution, thanks in part to this forum, was to INSTALL 2 OEM CARTRIDGES (the small black one and the cyan one) and IT ACTUALLY WORKED! What a relief: I had read so many posts online that basically said there was nothing to do to solve this problem, I was this close to throwing out the printer.

That's today. I'll report back if I have any more problems or solutions.

DEBBYGG
Apprentice
I tried twice. It tells me which cartridges are missing. So I have to put them back in. Still blank pages.

I have prepared a composite of magarzamichael’s and my posts for unclogging your printer nozzle, when your printer is printing blank pages, in the hopes it will be clear, complete and helpful:

In the Maintenance settings of your printer go to Print Nozzle Check Pattern. After the printer prints out the test page, compare it to the page example on your computer screen. This should tell you which ink jet colors are clogged. In my case it showed all of the non-black colors however, it showed no bar or anything on the top of the page. This told me the inkjet for the large black ink cartridge was clogged.

I tried the cleaning button a couple times to no avail. I then tried the deep clean button, for the black only. I reprinted the nozzle page and the top bar printed, but wasn't quite full. So I performed the deep clean on just the black again. Then I printed 3 separate documents with no issues. Yay. By unclogging my black inkjet I have good quality printing now. In retrospect I had left my printer sit unused for months and months, so a clog occurring would make sense. Good luck.

chemengineer
Apprentice

Hello,

After 2 years of this problem, I found this forum, and I fixed the m*fo with a blend of your responses.

First I tried the 14 steps that @PDIT recommended...

The first nozzle check pattern printed faint grey squares which was obviously not right. When prompted "Which is closer for printed color patterns?", I selected "Also B", which prompted me from the printer, "Nozzle clogged, do you want to start cleaning?", so I said yes. The second nozzle check pattern came out a little more detailed, but still wrong. I cleaned once again. The third nozzle check pattern came out blank...

Then I watched the following youtube video "How to remove printhead Canon MX922, MX925 Printers" by 303 Eelctronics. (sorry coudn't attach the link)

So, I removed the ink cartridges, took out the print head and noticed that it was just as dirty as the guy's in the video, so I did what he was doing and cleaned the back with a lint-free wash rag, and a few Q-tips (note: don't touch the print pads or they will be damaged).

Then I re-inserted the print head, and cartridges (which are knock-off cartiridges I've been using for years), and printed the nozzle check pattern one more time... and BAM! It came out perfectly... I was like there is no way... 

I then tried printing a personal document and it came out perfectly.

Just needs a little cleaning and hard reset I guess? Good Luck!

The nozzle test page should look like this:

Canon MX922 Nozzle Test Page (Resized).png

Announcements