cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX492 error code B204

Massey
Apprentice

Hi, 
On Monday the printer was perfect. I print through my iPhone. Since yesterday the screen displays a code of B204. It also says to unplug. I unplugged for hours. I re-plug it same code appears with same instructions. I did a hard reset the error code reappears again. I did change an cartridge. It was sitting in the same spot for 2 years. Customer service won't help unless I pay a fee. Does anyone know how can I fix this and what does it mean?

14 REPLIES 14

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Massey,

To try to resolve the B204 error, please follow the following steps:

1.  Turn your PIXMA MX492 off using the power button.

2.  Lift up the scanning unit (printer cover) then place the scanning unit support into position.

3.  Remove any orange protective tape and the protective material that may be present.

4.  Please check for jammed paper:

4-1.  Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

4-2.  If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, turn the machine off, open the Scanning Unit (Printer Cover) and remove it.  Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

5.  Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) slightly to set the scanning unit back to its original position and then gently close scanning unit.

6.  Reload paper on the multi-purpose tray.

7.  Press the power button to turn on your MX492.

8.  If the Alarm light remains on after powering up the MX492, open the cover again.

9.  Remove each cartridge. 

10.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the PIXMA MX492.

11.  Reconnect the power cord and turn the unit on.

12.  Reinsert the cartridges.

13.  After the cartridges have been reseated, close the cover.

14.  Fan a new stack of paper then try to print again.

If the B204 error returns, please try 2 new ink cartridges.

If the issue persists, your PIXMA MX492 would require service. You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same issue. I've tried the suggestions. It seems like I will need to just buy a new printer. It's disappointing that I will need to buy a new printer and will waste my ink. 

@Mypascoconnect wrote:

Hi Massey,

To try to resolve the B204 error, please follow the following steps:

1.  Turn your PIXMA MX492 off using the power button.

2.  Lift up the scanning unit (printer cover) then place the scanning unit support into position.

3.  Remove any orange protective tape and the protective material that may be present.

4.  Please check for jammed paper:

4-1.  Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

4-2.  If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, turn the machine off, open the Scanning Unit (Printer Cover) and remove it.  Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

5.  Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) slightly to set the scanning unit back to its original position and then gently close scanning unit.

6.  Reload paper on the multi-purpose tray.

7.  Press the power button to turn on your MX492.

8.  If the Alarm light remains on after powering up the MX492, open the cover again.

9.  Remove each cartridge. 

10.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the PIXMA MX492.

11.  Reconnect the power cord and turn the unit on.

12.  Reinsert the cartridges.

13.  After the cartridges have been reseated, close the cover.

14.  Fan a new stack of paper then try to print again.

If the B204 error returns, please try 2 new ink cartridges.

If the issue persists, your PIXMA MX492 would require service. You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

I like the way you made this article. Short but juicy. Thanks for sharing!

I am having this same issue and have done everything mentioned to resolve it to no avail. Now I cant even turn it on without the message preventing me from doing anything.

what printer did you buy.... just got this code

Hello

I have had 3 little used canon printers fail without warning requiring complete replacement of the printer and a lot of wasted stored ink that cost more that the printer was new.  One was an expensive A3 inkjet that was little used and had to be junked because of a similar fatel so called service error, whcih I believe is programmed obsolecance.

I will never buy a Canon product again as they are responsible for so much e-waste with their rubbish printers I will conduct a co,mplete product range boycott 

just received this error code........ getting ready to call the upgrade phone number. What did they tell you the reason and what printer did you buy to replace

kaylasnyder
Apprentice

I am getting this error. I have tried all the suggestions and it is still not working.  This printer worked absolutely fine until for whatever reason it stopped.  I am very disappointed.  What are my options at this point?  Any assistance is welcome...

kaylasnyder
Apprentice

I will NOT be spending my hard earned money on another CANON item again.  Up until today I had NO issues with this printer.  What  a SCAM Canon, you should be ashamed of yourselves. 

Announcements