cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX492 - IJ Scan Utility update for MacOS Catalina 10.15 - installed, but not working

writeval
Apprentice

I updated my system to Mac Catalina 10.15.4, and now certain apps aren't working including my Canon Pixma MX492 IJ scanner; when I try to open the IJ Scanner it reports "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information." (the printer software seems unaffected and completely fine.) 

So I downloaded and installed the driver updates (files from Canon named mcpd-mac-mx490-16_40_1_0-ea21_3.dmg and mac-mx490-1_6-mcd.dmg) and both claimed to successfully install, but I can't find the supposedly-updated IJ Scan Utility anywhere.

I've lost the use of my scanner. I'm a photo restorer, so scanning is crucial to my business. Doesn't seem fair to have to pay $20 for tech support to get this glitch taken care of. Can anybody please help? Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

With PC's and Mac's, installing something over the top of something which is already broken is not always the best course of action. 

I would suggest removing/uninstalling the printer, its drivers and all software.  Now restart.

Then install using the correct drivers for your MAC OS.

These are the two drivers you need for Print and Scan support under OSX Catalina 10.15.x

Printing:

MX490 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 16.40.1.0 (Mac)

Scanning:

ICA Driver Ver. 4.1.3a (Mac)

Available here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Great, thanks Rick. (I did wonder about possibly uninstalling, but worried it might not fix the scanner and mess up the printer to boot.) Short of just dragging the Canon folder from my Applications folder into the trash, is there a way to select and system-uninstall the drivers/apps? Thank you! 

Greetings,

Printer removal:

Reset Printing System...  Note, this removes all installed printers, but is a good way to ensure a fresh start from a installed device perspective.

Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners...

Now right or Control click to in the left hand list of devices to "Reset The Printing System"

Note again..  removes everything

Software:

If you have a Status Monitor running, c;lose or quit it.  If you can't... try Force Quit.

Applications:

Drag anything and everything Canon to the recycle bin...  should get prompted for Admin PW...  then restart. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi writeval.

In addition to the steps taken, if you haven't yet done so, drag the Canon drivers for the Canon MX490 series to the trash.  You may find them in the following folders:

Mac HD \ Library \ Image Capture \ TWAIN Data Sources
Mac HD (\ Library) \ Printers \ PPDs \ Contents \ Resources

This will ensure the older drivers are fully removed, and will not conflict with or try to supercede the newer drivers.  Once those are removed, download and run the driver installations for the MX492 again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you so much for this advice. It worked perfectly to get my Canon MX490 printing wirelessly with Mac OS Catalina.
Announcements