cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 unable to print with black only

xyman621
Apprentice

I'm trying to print a simple text document that is ONLY black/white. I don't need color ink at all. It will print a system alignment page in black, but won't print anything I send it.

Both cartridges are installed, black has ink, color has no ink. I've cleared the error by holding the stop button for 5+ seconds.

I then wen't into Control Panel > Devices and Printers > PIXMA MX490 (right click, Printing Preferences) > Maintence > Ink Cartridge Settings. I selected "Black only" from the drop down and clicked OK.

After doing that I get the message "The following ink cartridge will be used for the specified printing. Color. The settings in the Ink Cartridge Settings on the Maintenance tab of the printer driver will be disabled."

So it's not letting me print in "Black only" by disabling my changes.

How can I print in Black only without having any color ink?

printer problem_2.PNG

printer problem_1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turn off borderless printing. 

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MX490%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_ink_cartridge.htm...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The help text in the dialog for specifying 'Black Only' mentions that such a setting will only work for Plain Paper or Envelope media type.  What is the Media Type you currently have selected?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Plain Paper.

printer problem_3.PNG

Turn off borderless printing. 

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MX490%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_ink_cartridge.htm...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
Ive been having this exact issue over a year. Random files do print black cartridge only, random ones disable the setting. Opening in new programs just to print. Big headaches.
The second I clicked off borderless they all print using the black cartridge.
You're the best!!

Rlcxbri
Apprentice
I’m using a wireless printer connected to my phone and it doesn’t even have the black ink option on my settings only monochrome and color

Richard808
Apprentice

What I did was buy a color cartridge; snip off MOST of the orange plastic tape, except the business end of the plastic tape that actually covers the place where the ink spurts onto the page; insert the cartridge as usual; and watch'er go.  That color cartridge ain't never gonna wear out, son.  Mark my words.  OTOH I just came up with this and maybe the printer will figure it out and tell me what's what.  As usual.

Announcements