cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX340 Windows 10 Device Descriptor Request Failed Code 43

SoloMan89
Contributor

Hello.  I recently purchased a new HP Envy Phoenix 810-QE desktop computer yesterday.

The first thing I did was complete the free upgrade on a clean slate ("save nothing") from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Professional, 64 bit edition.

The system specs are:

32GB DDR3 RAM
3TB 7,200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Integrated Realtek / Beats Audio
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz 4 Core Processor

Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3 Video Card

My Canon Pixma MX 340 multi function printer is not able to be recognized by this new system.  I have installed the software and drivers for the printer, however, device manager keeps telling me that this printer is an "Unknown USB Device: Device Descriptor Request Failed, code 43."  I have also attempted downloading the latest drivers directly from Canon specifically listing compatbility with Windows 10, which has not helped me at all because the drivers are still unable to locate the printer during installation.

I originally had this printer connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the system, but I also attempted using this printer with the USB 2.0 ports, since my old system only had USB 2.0.  No change, it still gives the exact same error.  I also attempted connecting this printer directly to the front USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on my computer with no affect.

I checked to see if this printer was "compatible" with Windows 10, and according to Microsoft's compatability checking website, it states that the Pixma MX340 should becompatible.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I FOUND THE ISSUE.

I forgot that not only was I using a USB extension cable, but I was also using a lengthy USB cable along with the USB extension as well.  This lengthy USB cable was the culprit!

I just noticed this and decided to test it out.  With the lengthy USB cord, I get the error. But when going back to a standard length cable, the Printer was located properly as a Canon MX340!

If I switch back to the lengthy cable, it is unable to be found.

However, I can still use the USB extension cable.  This cable does not cause a conflict of any type!

View solution in original post

It was most definitely the fault of the 15' USB printer cable that I purchased about 13 months ago.  I was using the combination of the 15' USB printer cable and a USB extension cable to achieve the length that I needed.

As I said, the USB extension cable is compatible and is still working.

I swapped out the 15' USB printer cable for another USB cable that I found in my "cords stash" that is longer than the origional USB cable bur shorter than the 15' USB cable that is apparently not compatible with Windows 10.

Also I am still using the USB extension cable.  And I connected everything back up to USB 3.0 port, and the printer works flawlessly on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.  Although this combination of cables is slightly shorter than what I had before, it is still long enough where I do not need to relocate the printer.

I'm not sure why I was having issues with the 15' USB printer cable.  It IS much thinner than any other USB cable that I have seen.  I don't know if this means anything?  All I know is that it worked fine with Windows XP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The MX340 can be installed on Windows 10 by using the latest drivers on our website.

However, since the printer is showing as an Unknown Device, this may indicate a USB issue with the system.

Make sure that the USB drivers are up to date on your computer.  Also, ensure that the printer is being connected directly to the computer rather than through any USB hubs or extension devices.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Michael.  I am not sure if there is a problem with the USB system or not, but I can attest that other USB devices are functioning properly, including a keyboard, mouse, Canon PowerShot A400 digital camera, Seagate external harddrive, Samsung Android phone, flash drive, and Apple iPod, both through the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.

I am not using an external USB hubs either.  I was using a USB extension cable for my printer, but I also removed that and attempted connecting the printer directly.  It resulted in the same error regardless if I hooked the printer up to the USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports, with or without the USB extension cable attached as well.

Thank you.

I also attempted to remove everything related to the Canon Pixma and start off fresh with the latest versions that I acquired directly from the Canon website instead of the installation CD that came with the printer.

I still get the "the device failed and was unable to be recognized" error when attempting to install the "mp68-win-mx340-1_05-ea24" drivers, at the point where it asks you to plug it and turn on the device in order for it to be detected.

I FOUND THE ISSUE.

I forgot that not only was I using a USB extension cable, but I was also using a lengthy USB cable along with the USB extension as well.  This lengthy USB cable was the culprit!

I just noticed this and decided to test it out.  With the lengthy USB cord, I get the error. But when going back to a standard length cable, the Printer was located properly as a Canon MX340!

If I switch back to the lengthy cable, it is unable to be found.

However, I can still use the USB extension cable.  This cable does not cause a conflict of any type!

It was most definitely the fault of the 15' USB printer cable that I purchased about 13 months ago.  I was using the combination of the 15' USB printer cable and a USB extension cable to achieve the length that I needed.

As I said, the USB extension cable is compatible and is still working.

I swapped out the 15' USB printer cable for another USB cable that I found in my "cords stash" that is longer than the origional USB cable bur shorter than the 15' USB cable that is apparently not compatible with Windows 10.

Also I am still using the USB extension cable.  And I connected everything back up to USB 3.0 port, and the printer works flawlessly on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.  Although this combination of cables is slightly shorter than what I had before, it is still long enough where I do not need to relocate the printer.

I'm not sure why I was having issues with the 15' USB printer cable.  It IS much thinner than any other USB cable that I have seen.  I don't know if this means anything?  All I know is that it worked fine with Windows XP.

Announcements