cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX310 firmware loader fail on macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

johnwardale
Apprentice

HELP!

My Pixma MX310 needs a firmware upgrade (and some new scanner support SW) ... The phone # says it's exclusively supported on-line ... the drivers+downloads page < https://www.usa.canon.com/…/mx-ser…/pixma-mx310/pixma-mx310… > provides a link for "MX310 series Firmware Upgrade Utility Ver. 1.040 (Mac OS X 10.2/10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7)" which is File name
fu103mx310sosx1040en.dmg.
When I open the dmg and run the xRomVUp.app, I get the error:
"An error may have occured while downloading the updater.
Download the data again, and then restart the utility."

Can SOMEONE provide an updater that works with macOS Sierra (10.12.6) or later?

Also, how do I get the new scan-driver? ... MP Navigator EX version 2.0 will *NOT* run with the scan-driver that works with MP Navigator EX version 1.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi johnwardale,

The firmare will not work with  your OS becuase the MX310 is not supported by the Mac OS Sierra v10.12. We do not have new drivers for this operating system. The latest drivers that were made for this printer were for OS X Mavericks v10.9 environment. Soon after that, the printer was retired. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

The drivers for the Mavericks v10.9 operating system may or may not function in the High Sierra v10.13 environment. If it does work, there may be some limitations which are unknown to Canon. If you have a Mac computer running OS X Jaguar v10.2 through OS X Mavericks 10.9, your MX310 will continue to work with those operating system.

If you want to try installing the older printer driver, please do the following:

1. Make sure the printer is on and a support code is not currently being displayed.

2. Ensure the USB cable is connected to the printer and ready to connect to the computer.

3. Open this email on your computer and click HERE to go directly to the Canon download site.

4. Click on the box that says DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS. It will be to the right of the red box that states Specifications.

5. Below the Drivers & Downloads, next to Operating System, you should see that your operating system is detected.

6. Change the operating system to the “OS X Mavericks v10.9."

7. A little further below and to the right, click on SELECT button next to the file titled “MX310 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 10.84.2.0 (OS X).”

8. Click on the red DOWNLOAD button.

9. If you are asked if you want to save the file, do so.

10. Close the web browser, and go to your Downloads folder.

11. Double-click on the file titled, “mcpd-mac-mx310-10_84_2_0-ea13.dmg”

12. In the window that opens, double-click on the icon that appears as an open box with a yellow package inside.

13. A welcome screen will appear, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computers.
    Note: If you are asked for a password, it is requesting your computers administrative/log-in password.

14. Do not reconnect the USB cable until you are instructed or the installation to complete.

As soon as you connect the cable, your computer should add the printer. If it does not, there is nothing else we can suggest.

After successfully installing the MX310 CUPS Printer Driver, you will want to download and install the following drivers and programs from the Canon website. Click HERE to go back to the Canon download web page.

Under the DRIVERS tab:
  • MX310 series Scanner Driver Ver. 13.9.2a
  • ICA Driver Ver. 3.1.0
Under the SOFTWARE tab:
  • MP Navigator EX Ver. 1.0.8

You are eligible for the Canon Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free ground shipping. If you would like to take advantage of this option, please call our Sales Department at (866)443-8002 seven days a week, 8:00 AM-Midnight ET (excluding holidays). Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi johnwardale,

The firmare will not work with  your OS becuase the MX310 is not supported by the Mac OS Sierra v10.12. We do not have new drivers for this operating system. The latest drivers that were made for this printer were for OS X Mavericks v10.9 environment. Soon after that, the printer was retired. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

The drivers for the Mavericks v10.9 operating system may or may not function in the High Sierra v10.13 environment. If it does work, there may be some limitations which are unknown to Canon. If you have a Mac computer running OS X Jaguar v10.2 through OS X Mavericks 10.9, your MX310 will continue to work with those operating system.

If you want to try installing the older printer driver, please do the following:

1. Make sure the printer is on and a support code is not currently being displayed.

2. Ensure the USB cable is connected to the printer and ready to connect to the computer.

3. Open this email on your computer and click HERE to go directly to the Canon download site.

4. Click on the box that says DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS. It will be to the right of the red box that states Specifications.

5. Below the Drivers & Downloads, next to Operating System, you should see that your operating system is detected.

6. Change the operating system to the “OS X Mavericks v10.9."

7. A little further below and to the right, click on SELECT button next to the file titled “MX310 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 10.84.2.0 (OS X).”

8. Click on the red DOWNLOAD button.

9. If you are asked if you want to save the file, do so.

10. Close the web browser, and go to your Downloads folder.

11. Double-click on the file titled, “mcpd-mac-mx310-10_84_2_0-ea13.dmg”

12. In the window that opens, double-click on the icon that appears as an open box with a yellow package inside.

13. A welcome screen will appear, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computers.
    Note: If you are asked for a password, it is requesting your computers administrative/log-in password.

14. Do not reconnect the USB cable until you are instructed or the installation to complete.

As soon as you connect the cable, your computer should add the printer. If it does not, there is nothing else we can suggest.

After successfully installing the MX310 CUPS Printer Driver, you will want to download and install the following drivers and programs from the Canon website. Click HERE to go back to the Canon download web page.

Under the DRIVERS tab:
  • MX310 series Scanner Driver Ver. 13.9.2a
  • ICA Driver Ver. 3.1.0
Under the SOFTWARE tab:
  • MP Navigator EX Ver. 1.0.8

You are eligible for the Canon Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free ground shipping. If you would like to take advantage of this option, please call our Sales Department at (866)443-8002 seven days a week, 8:00 AM-Midnight ET (excluding holidays). Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Cannon!!!!

your solution does not work because the firmware youare suggesting to install is 32 bit!!!

You have failed us. I am so upset that I cannot use the printer just because you do not upgrade the firmware that should run with mac os Catalina. 

I have this pixma mx 310 pretty good condition worked really good until today. Why because you guys are not upgrading the firmware. Mac does not run 32 bit apps anymore only 64 bits. do not tell me that it is the computer manufacturers fault, no it is not. Yiou have to upgrade the firm ware of your products period. I have bunch of ink cartridges now yuop are telling me that i can not use them. shame, shame shame...... I wiull not buy any cannon printers anymore and will advice the same anyone I came acros.

Instead of paying bunch of $$$ cannon printers I should be paying more affordable ones and keep upgrade with a newer affordable printer in evry 2-3 years. That will secure me against your scam.

Screw your products quality as I am not able to use the printer because you do not keep up with firmware updates.

regards,

VERY UPSET CANNON PRINTER OWNER!!!!!!!!!!  

Announcements