cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 922 IJ Scanner Utility Not Working

senbarki
Apprentice

I currently have 2 Mac computers connected to a Canon Pixma MX 922 by ethernet. Both print and scan functions work perfectly with these computers. I just purchased a new iMac. The operating system is the latest (OS X 10.14.6).
I have downloaded the printer and scanner drivers, etc from the Canon website and installed them on the new iMac.

The printer function is working perfectly, however I am unable to scan using the IJ Scan Utility. I have tried numerous times, and have deleted and re added the printer, but when I try to scan, and click on the any of the selections in the IJ Scan Utility popup screen (i.e. Document, Auto, Photo, etc) I get the error messsage "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:
-Scanner is turned off
-USB Cable is disconnected

Please check and try again.
Scanner driver will be closed.

and cannot go any further even if I try and try again.

As noted, the printer/scanner is turned on, and is not connected by USB cable, but by ethernet to the rest of the network.

I have both of the other computers setup to use the IJ Scan Utility and always scan using it.

Strangely enough, I have been able to scan (although it takes many more steps) by clicking on the printer icon, then clicking on the scan selection at the upper right of the printer icon popup box,which then displays a popup box labeled "Scanner" with a number of different selections, among them "Scan". The scanner does an "Overview" scan and the document being scanned is displayed on the left side of the popup screen. If I click on Scan, it directs me to "Please select an area to scan" which has to be done by clicking on on the image and outlining the area to be scanned, in this case the full document (similar to doing a screen shot). After doing this, click scan and it will actually perform a scan.

Note, when I click on the printer icon in the dock on both the other computers, the popup screen that is displayed does not have the Scanner icon at the right side of the screen, only "Pause" and "Settings".

This is really frustrating, so hope you can help me be able to scan with the IJ Scanner Utility as is being done with the other computers.

Thank you,

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi sesbarki,

Let's try reinstalling the driver, to make sure the correct one is being used:

1.  Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner and then System Preferences.

2.  Click on Printers & Scanners.

3.  Click on the Canon MX922 on the left side and then [-] at the bottom.

4.  Repeat until all Canon MX922's are removed.

5.  Click on the [+] at the bottom and then click on "Add printer or scanner"

6.  In the window that appears, please click on the Canon MX920 with "Bonjour Multifunction" to the right (in the Kind column)

7.  At the bottom next to "Use", please select Canon MX920 and not Airprint or Secure Airprint.

8.  Click the Add button.

Once reinstalled, please open the IJ Scan Utility.  At the top, next to Product Name, please name sure that "Canon MX920 series Network" is selected and not "Canon MX920 series".

Attempt to scan.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

endoking
Contributor

I have a similar problem. I tried  the solution suggested. It did not work

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements