cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

Jason, we know you front the company, but please read these posts. Like everyone else, I called technical and it is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME. The printers are broken, they don't reset. The thing to do, in my opinion, is alert management and ask them to do the right thing by myself and all these other owners... 

I posted earlier.  Just a followup, I got in touch with Canon, and my MX892 had less than a week left on the warranty.  By the build number, the printer had sat on the vendors shelf for 3 or 4 months before being sold to me. 

I would unequivocably say there is a defective electronic component (capacitor?) which was used by Canon in the manufacture process, and they've reached their useful life. 

I received a new printer under the warranty exchange,  Canon did not send me another MX892, but instead a newer MX922.  I didn't really mind receiving a different comprable model, but now I'm stuck with about 30 or so replacement cartridges I had in stock for the MX892, as this printer uses a different cartridge.

All in all, I would say it was a very painless warranty experience, Canon support staff did a good timely job on handling the problem for me, I would like to thank them for that. 

This does not negate the problem though, these printer DO have a major problem, these printers all fairing in the same manner IS NOT just a coincidence, and I would recommend that anyone reading this thread whose printer is a few months out of warranty get in touch with Canon customer service by phone or email, explain the situation, and ask them to do right by their customers.  Everyone who purchased this relatively expensive printer expected the same longevity and build quality as other Canon products have, or we wouldn't have bought them in the first place. 

Do  the right thing Canon.

Hi. Well said. Obviously a faulty component... Let's see what kind of integrity Canon has... 

I admire you for making the effort to take it that far! I hope something positive comes of it. As for replacement, we've been facing financial difficulty as of late and haven't had the funds to replace it. This is really what has strengthened my resolve to avoid Canon products.

For what it's worth, I hear that laser printers are the way to go. Apparently many/most ink-jet printers are made only to last few years. Just hearsay, but it makes sense to me. Ink clogs, cheap plastic gears break, etc.

Anyway, I wish you luck. Feel free to post back here when you get a response. 😃

I am a student so I completely understand, I am also unable to purchase another one at this time, and I saved up to purchase the Canon MX 892. I invested in what I thought would be a quality and long lasting printer with all the features necessary for me to get my assignments done. I too hope they respond because overall I generally love Canon products but this experience has surely left a sour taste in my mouth.

Canon needs to quit screwing over their customers and fix this issue by repairing or replacing the printer at their cost. Its no coincidence that we are all experiencing sudden and complete failures. Canon's solution is to offer you a "discount" on another model directly through Canon when in fact you can buy the same printer at a local retailer for less than the discounted Canon price.

CHACHING!!!!!! They jsut made more money and screwed over another customer again. Good job Canon thats a stand up business there. 

Look back in the posts and you will see people posting and commenting that the offer Canon gave them for a repalcement printer that was supposedly discounted through Canon cost more than buying the same model at a local retailer.

If you don't stand up and demand resolution it will never happen. Canon you need to fix these worthless printers and make this situation right!

Nice I just tried using the spell check on this post and it didn't work just like my Canon printer doesn't work.

8/31/14. Mine just died midway through printing, 18 months old, light use. Great printer except its DEFECTIVE, based on what I've read, it's done and I will not be buying another Canon product. There is obviously a problem with this line. Thanks for ripping me off!

Hi. Tech Support DID tell me what the B200 error means: Broken Hardware.  

Their solution? 'Box it up and ship it to a repair center.' Right, absolutely, spend more money, wait weeks to find out how much they would charge to fix it...

Personally, I tossed mine in the recycle bin.

Exact same problem.  Printer is 17 months old with very light usage and one day last week it would not turn on.  I read the comments on here and was hoping for a better solution.  I did not get one.  Customer Support gave me the old unplug it and plug it back in routine.  I told them that I did that several time, used a different outlet, etc..  His response was that the machine was "dead", but they would trasnfer me to the Canon Customer Loyalty line where they would offer me a new printer at a discount.  They offered me a MX922 which was regularly $199.99 for $149.99.  Problem is I can buy the same printer at Staples for less.  Not what I would consider a loyalty program.  This is obviuosly an issue with this model.  Very disappointed in how Canon is treating this and will certainly factor in my decision to  never buy a Canon product again.

Yep, I will never purchase a Canon product again -- printer or otherwise.

Announcements