cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

Nothing. Period.

Help poor Canon company and buy a new Canon (which will die a programmed death immediately after warranty). This is 100% planned obsolescence, and nothing else. Shame on you, Canon!!

pastorpsv7
Contributor

don't spend any money on power supplies or print heads ....they are all the same read through all owners you can buy a new printer cheaper than any option canon offers. there was a class action on this printer but i think its over ... there is no fix that makes sense ... use it as boat anchor

Same thing.  Just shut done.  Completely dead.  Also done with Canon.

Same with my Pixma MX 892.  I had two of them.  This one I rarely used.  Less than 500 pages printed.  When you calculate the cost of the machine, ink cartridges and paper, it comes to about 25 cents per page.  My expectations were for less expensive printing.  Heading to Costco to buy a new printer.  I know they don't sell Canon printers anymore.  When they no longer carried Canon, I knew it must be for reasons like this.  So, most likely, back to HP which, as others have commented, HP has been more reliable and less expensive based on the cost per printed page.  

Thank y'all for for writing on the Community page.  I might have spent hours fussin' with it, probably bought a new power supply and then been even more frustrated.  As they say in the banking business, "Your first loss will be your least loss."  Translation:  Don't through good money after bad.   

Another victim. Pixma 892 approximately 2 years old. Unit died in the middle of print job. Canon customer support went through same script...remove power wait 10 seconds; same result. Pixma MX892 dead and stuck with extra print cartridges. I actually considered purchasing another MX892 before I read this thread. The plan was to use failed unit for parts...dumb idea. In search of new non-Canon printer.

jmnyquist
Apprentice

After 7 uses each use many months apart, the last one over a year ago, it's dead.  Seriously, this printer remained unplugged, and unmoved except for those print jobs.  Went to do a print job for a friend, 3 different power cords (all tested out as working for other devices), 2 different outlets (both tested proper and functional.  Average cost to print: over 20$ a page.  (I don't print much or often).

Upset, yes.

Add mine to the list of printers that bite the big one.  It's a lightly used MX892 from costco.  Have had it only for a 2 or 3 years.  I wondered what was up when they quit carrying them.  And I just bought more ink like a month ago. It was printing just fine a day or two ago...and then today. I tried to print something, I could here the printer working but it suddenly shuts itself off and will not turn on even after unplugging for a while and then plugging directly into a wall socket. GRRRR. How terribly inconvenient I now have to purchase a new printer....I have 7 unused ink cartridges 😞 

Canon used to be so well known for a good product.  Ironically, the class action lawsuit that was settled back in 2015/2016 is only about the print heads.  This is a power issue, either with the power supply or soemthing else.  

ali8888
Apprentice

Add mine to the list. Bought Canon MX892 4 years ago. Very lightly used. The machine cannot be powered on. 

Crochetgirl
Apprentice
My printer just shut off and is completely dead too. I have a MX922. I agree with most of you. I’ve never had this issue before. I’ve owned Cannon printers for a long time and usually invest in upgraded features only. I’ve never had one completely stop working. Sounds to me like Cannon is installing poor quality power supplies.

Crochetgirl
Apprentice
I agree completely with you. I have 4 full ink refills that aren’t cheap. I can’t believe how common this issue is and Cannon is doing nothing about it. Really disappointed.
Announcements