cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

My 892 died as well and the internet community is full of users cursing their Canons for dying after a couple years. I registered for this 'canon community' just to warn people that this is a built in problem.  I will not buy another canon

Unfortunately, this MX892 printer appears to be a lemon for everyone.  I expect my experience is shared by many....

First, without any previous signs of trouble the unit no longer powers on.  

Next, if you are able to get it to power on, you get a 'B200' error.

Then, after repeated attempts to solve for this, you get a different (and I assume more serious) 'U052' error.

I am waiting to hear back from online support, but expect to be told to take it in for repairs for a cost well above what I paid for the printer in the first place.  

Certainly disappointing!

AS YOU CAN SEE THIS IS A CANON PROBLEM FOR THIS PRINTER. I PURCHASED A POWER SUPPLY =NOT A FIX   THEN I PURCHASED A NEW PRINT HEAD NOT A FIX. THERE IS A CLASS ACTION FILED AGAINST CANON BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE IT STANDS .. BEST CANON WILL DO IS OFFER 10% OFF LIST WHICH IS MORE THAN BUYING A PRINTER  FOR ONLINE PRICES. IT LOOKS LIKE WITH THIS MANY PRINTERS FAILING THEY WOULD SET UP AN ASSEMBLY LINE TO RECONDITION FOR A SMALL FLAT FEE ... BUT WITH SHIPPING AND REPACKAGING I MGUESS ITS NOT AN ANSWER ... SO IN SHORT IF CANON WANTS OUR ONGOING BUSINESS THEY SHOULD SEND A 25. COUPON THAT CAN BE REDEEMED FOR ANY NEW CANON PRINTER FROM ANYWHERE. SORRY BUT ITS TOO LIGHT FOR A BOAT ANCHOR ... DON'T PUT ANY MORE TIME OR EFFORT TO MAKE IT WORK

Seems this has been going on with this model since 2012 and still not fixed. Yesterday I joined the family of upset Cannon owners. Printed in the morning. In the afternoon was at the PC and hit print several times. Went over to the printer and it was not on. Tried several times to turn it on and it would not. Left unplugged and tried again. Even tried my husbands work printer cord and no luck. Left unplugged all night and still will not come on. I just changed the ink on Monday and ordered another box of ink from amazon. This makes me frustrated that I have wasted my ink and purchased more that now I can not use. I was always happy with this printer.....until now.

Welcome to the unhappy club  If you have read all the post by now you should know it's not a simple fix but a serious canon problem with this model. I didn't believe it and bought print head and power supply they do not fix problem there is a class action filed you can find it under class actions.  Bite the bullet and buy a new printer the deals canon offer are no better than what you can get on line or from major office supply sales. Sorry but that's the situation

thenestor
Apprentice
I replaced my dead Pixma MX892 with a new HP OfficeJet. The ink is more expensive, but I'm confident that the printer will be reliable like my previous HP printers were. I never had an HP printer die; in fact, I always sold them when I wanted to move on to something new. This is the first time I'll be taking a printer to electronic recycling instead.

berniehengels
Apprentice

HI all,

Same printer, same problem. No matter how many times and how many sets of 10 minutes I wait nor how many wall sockets I plug into, the thing just won't come back on. Right in the middle of a print job. Looks like I am running to (name that quciky print place) to finish the job.

berniehengels
Apprentice

Nice chat with (insert name here) from Canon technical service regarding my MX 892 that decided to turn off during a print job. As a direct result of the phone call, I am now shopping for a new printer. As a bonus, I do have 19 spare ink cartridges specifically designed for the MX892 that may go to waste as it appears that Canon changed the ink holder design with the next model. Oh bother....

mhjj
Apprentice

I just printed 9 pages with no problem and went to print more, and my printer was completely dead. I, too, unplugged everything and waited 10 minutes, as suggested. It is still completely dead. I have had the printer for approximately 19 months, and am very disappointed that nothing is being done to correct this problem and make it right with consumers.

Abroomes
Contributor

I experienced the same situation on Thursday, I was printing one moment and the next my printer said there was an error but in a foreign language, and now it will not come on at all,  and to my demise, I have only had the product for approximately 18 months, I have had cheaper printers than this last for much longer without a hitch. I am very dissapointed in Canon and the lack of quality exhibited by this printer model. The fact that so many individuals are complaining about this same issue, indicates that there must be a manufacturing defect for which the customer should not be held responsible. I spoke with Canon's customer service and they offered no compensation save for my receiving a 25% discount on a next generation model of this PIXMA series  (MX 922) which usually costs $199.99. I was told the MX 922 was on sale for $129.99 so the discount would not apply, when I checked around, the product was cheaper at best buy  and B&H  photo for $99.99. I bought this quality of printer with these features at a higher price point with the expectation of receiving a durable product which would not require replacement for at least 3-4 years, but I got a bad egg instead. I believe Canon should compensate their customers for their company's obvious oversight in the manufacture of the Pixma MX 892. 

Sincerely,

Unhappy Customer

Announcements