cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

This is obviously a problem with this printer - Why doesn't someone from Canon offer a solution?

add me to this list

purchased MX892 on Nov 2012. earlier this week it would not turn on. tried everything listed here and in other forums to no avail. it worked flawlessly until now. the "most recent" Amazon reviews for this printer and littered with 1-star complaints about this issue. makes you wounder if Canon used a "kill switch" part in order to push more sales...

if anybody files or comes across a class action suit please post here.

RobZNayr
Apprentice

I just spoke with Roy at Canon VA Service Center. My Printer would not power up on either of 2 power strips. Roy said to plug directly to wall. Did that. Powered up and gave Error Message B200. That's a fatal message about general hardware failure. This  printer has had light use for about 18 months and is now hosed. Canon, this was a good product, way better than HP, but dropping dead like this out-of-warranty is not good. :-0

I also received  this error message. We need proper compensation because this is not just an anomaly, there are many persons complaining about this same issue. This is obviously a manufacturing defect and is the responsiblity of Canon to correct.

I suspect this problem is not just limited to MX 892, my Pixma MP230 has the same problem. I did as suggested and unplugged cords from printer and wall outlet as well as trying another power socket and cord to no avail.
Perhaps this is a design feature, designed to force customers to buy another printer!
Though there is no charge to reach technical support, I suspect the same cannot be said for a service!

Thi is the 2nd Canon printer that this has happened to,  I love canon's print quality, but I am not sure that I can buy another canon printer.  This does not make any sense.  The printer was working fine, had just printed something, then -- bam!  it turns off, never to come back on again. No warning, no nothing, just stopped, as if I had turned off a light.  Canon, you need to get your stuff together.  This is horrible.  just horrible. 

Ivy

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I agree. However, I already threw mine away and will never be purchasing another Canon product again. Additionally, I will be suggesting the same to every person I know.

thenestor
Apprentice

Same thing happened to me today.  I noticed that my Canon Pixma MX892 was off.  Tried to turn it on, and it won't turn on.  Tried leaving it unplugged for a while, tried plugging it in without the power strip, tried using a different cable from another printer, and it still won't turn on.  The printer is 18 months old.

Widespread problem. Not much help found here, they will simply refer you to tech support (for a fee)
Ridiculous

Announcements