cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

RogerWhitaker
Apprentice

We have a Canon MX870 that hasseveral years of mostly light use on it. We have been using Canon printers for many years going back to our much loved and lamented Pixma IP-5000 that had ream after ream of paper and, it seemed like gallons of ink run through it.  When it died, we got an MX-870 and it kept us in operation.  Note that we also have a Canon MF4350 laser printer for B&W printing.

We had a power outage this morning.  No it wasn't weather related, it was clear, cool and a beautiful day, but the power went off for about 1/2 hour. 

This evening, my wife needed to print some documents.  She noticed that the printer wasn't on. Oh, well the power was off so that means I need to power it back up.  Nope!... Panic.... Check the power connections with no good results. More panic! Plug into a different outlet that I know has power..Still nothing.   Ugh.

I came to my trusty friend Google and searched for "MX-870 won't turn on" and found this discussion.  After reading it for a few pages, I felt like we were probably out of luck, but I did the unplug for 10 minutes and then tried it. It worked! WooHoo!!  Back in operation.  

So the advice to unplug for a while seems to work for some of us.

Add me to the list of Canon MX850 casualties...it's worked flawlessly over the past 5 years that I've owned it and I really liked its scanner.  Alas, while setting up some documents to print, it died.  RIP, I guess it did better than many of the posters here.

Any suggestions for a new printer (2017 vintage) with a good quality scanner in the same price range?

Wow -  you have this marked at resolved because you told somoene to do a 10 minute reset and that didn't fix his, or any of the other 22 pages of compliants. You have 22 pages of complaints and you haven't done NOT ONE THING to try and resolve the problem. Well this is my last Canon product..

its sad that canon does not offer prorata rebate coupons that could be used on purchase of anotheer canon printer anywhere

ie 75. for first 6 months, 50. for next 18 month, and 25. for 36 months, 10. for 60 months . the prices they offer are too high but they must protect dealers. So this coupon offer would make sense encouraging another canon printer but from any dealer.

all that said if you got 5 years you did better than most with this printer. I replaced mine with a MX 922 swo far so good ... if you pay more for an HP it will likely last longer. all these printers are made to be used and thrown away .. since returning cost more than printers . dont let any ink type printer just sit ... print something from time to time. divide the number of years into the original cost and its not very bad. also don't buy ink to far ahead as the cart. style keeps changing and you have to throw them away ... when you have an inventory you may want to shop for a model that uses same ink cart.

Biwako
Apprentice

How did I come to be here? I printed a small photo this evening  and then hit Print to print another one, only to find that my MX892 had turned itself off, and the solution mentioned here about unplugging, etc., accomplished nothing.  In favor of Canon, I will say that I have had this machine for at least 5 years, maybe 6, so my only complaint is that I am left with a bunch of ink cartridges that represent wasted money.  But that always happens with printers.  Is there, or will there ever be, an inkjet maker that doesn't change the size or shape of the ink cartridges for every new model?  (I assume, with the deliberate aim of getting extra profit from all the unusable cartridges left behind when a printer dies.  Am I unfair?)

Someone commented here that it was probably for a good reason that CostCo has stopped selling Canon printers, so I am going to take a hint from that and go back to buying from HP.  After learning about the mostly unsolved power problem others have had with this PIXMA, even though mine served me well until today, I'd rather not court trouble.  Too bad, because I really loved the photo prints I got from it.

Need2repair
Apprentice

The same thing is happening to my Pixma pro 9000. I follwed all recommend steps; unplugging power cord, waiting 10 minutes, power connect direct to wall etc,still won't power up. I did notice that this problem began gradually. I would have to tap power button repeatedly to turn on/off. Up until now this has been a very good printer with excellent print quality. I suppect it is the pc board behind the power panel. Is there any place that sells these?  I think I could fix it myself. I was able to repair a HP8100 by replacing mother board. Works perfectly! I live in an area that I would have to travel several hours to take it to the few shops that will work on Canon printers. Plus shipping it to a Canon service center would be cost prohibitive. Has any one else experienced this? Any suggestions?

In my previous post, I commented on my Pixma pro 9000 not turning on. I took it to a local printer repair shop. He didn't feel it was worth the cost of repairing, however he said the issue is most likely the power adapter. Unfortunately, the printer power supply is internal. I was able to remove it and I found a place that has a replacement adapter for $39.00. I'm going to give it a try to see if that solves the problem. I will post if it works.

The printer business is a con game.  Sell the printers at or below the cost of manufacturing the device and then charge a outrageous amount of money for ink cartridges or more costly, the print head.  The companies like to gauge you with service fees why?  Because, they know the device will fail.  They want it to fail.  To add insult to injury, companies like this are quick to make sure that sensors detect when you've attempted refilling the ink yourself.  Canon isn't any worse or better from those regards.  The lessor of all evils when purchasing defaults to what works best when it actually functions. 

You would think that Canon could come out with a repair kit and charge the same as an ink cartridge and still make out like the bandits they are.  Come on Canon.  You can see people like your product and you know it malfunctions.  Do the customer a solid and come up with something to retail to repair.  Join the club of elitest companies that takes and takes from your fellow countrymen of whatever nation you may sell in. 

You don't have to care.  Continue sticking it to the customer.  One day there is going to be a device that goes past mere printing and when it causes your company to suffer you will need people to buy your product to be a rival.  If you show some "love" to your customers they will be there for you when that time comes.  They may not and you will ultimately fail due to your lack of forecasting the future. 

Good luck! 

ETats
Apprentice
I did the following listed above and it turned on and showed the blue light on the copy button but that is all. No message in the screen and it did not respond when I pushed any of the other buttons. What does this mean?
Announcements