cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

randomuser1
Apprentice

<copied from askmefast.com>

After you get the printer to power up by using a different outlet.

"Here is what worked for me: 1. Turn OFF Power 2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks) 3. Turn ON power 4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way 5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover. 6. Leave the Printer turned on 7. Good to go. It took 2 attempts before it worked. Some people said it took 3-4 attempts. Now, prior to this, I did clean the pads the cartridges sit on and used a qtip to wipe the encoder strip. I`m not sure if it was the combination of those things or just doing the fix."

4mla1fn
Apprentice

same thing happen to me today.  died in the middle of printing wedding invitations.  just wonderful.  my early pixma printers were good but the recent ones i've purchased for myself and family, with light use, have either died after around 18mos or where just the slowest, noisiest piece of garbage and replaced by other brands. i don't get it.

rocket-man767
Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this mesaage board and wish i had checked it out BEFORE i bought my MX892 17 months ago.

My 892 worked like everyone else's untill yesterday when it stopped in mid print and powered off.  That was it.  All the unplugging and plugging options ( and suggestions ) were tried and it rremains DOA...dead on arrival.  

I dont need technicial assistance to idnetify  "planned obsolunance".  VERY dissappointed in Cannon's product and life-span.  

Off to Costco to buy something other than a Cannon product, my only way to show anger...voting with my dollars.  j. 

An addition to the comment above.  I took my dead Cannon MX892 into a local reapir shop and had him 'look' at it before I took it to recycling.

Yup, dead on arrival.  The technician even took the cover off and checked out the different points for any kind of power, and zip.  Nothing.

Interesting in that when i took it to the recycling center and loaded it into the bid for 'dead' printers....guess what?  There were already 3 other Cannon printers in the bin!!  

gailtilt
Apprentice

Add me to the list of disappointed PIXMA MX 892 owners.  Mine stopped in the middle of a print job. I called tech support as some of you have done and got the same answers - plug & unplug, then nothing can be done but an expensive repair. 

Also interesting: I was told that the front board was probably bad, but they don't sell the board.  I got my first PC in 1991 and have always done all my own repairs but, for this printerm I can't even get the part I need.  

Markgooz
Apprentice
Guys, I had the same issue as everyone else on this forum and believe it or not, this worked. The printer booted with an error, but it worked. To reset mx892 look up reset in YouTube. And power up with ink cartridges in center of printer ( move it manual when off) follow canoonborken on how to make it work!!' (Not much of a speller but kudos on getting my printer back!!!) thanks man. Cannon, thanks for nothing.

Markgooz
Apprentice
Canoonborken's post on how to fix it is in this forum. Page 17

@Markgooz wrote:
Canoonborken's post on how to fix it is in this forum. Page 17

that fix is for people with an error message after turning the printer on. this thread is 17 pages of people with printers that will not power on...

Markgooz
Apprentice
Like I said....I had the same issue as everyone else in this forum...the printer stopped working and would not power on. I tried canoonborkens steps and it powered on. It was not power I g up at all before. But alas, the error codes will not go away now. I have decided to do an "Office space" and take it than abandoned field and go postal. Just ordered a HP to replace it. Life is just too short!! Good luck all.

Bama53GT
Apprentice

Having pretty much the exact same problem with my MX922.  In the automotive industry, they would call this a Service Bulletin.  aka - RECALL!!!

It was somewhat of a slow clunker but it did print pretty good, and scanned very nicely.  I also liked the individual cartridges for each color, and that I could use a variety of brands of cartridge.

However, it lived a very short life, less than 2 years, and since it's dead, it's being replaced with another printer with very similar qualities, but hopefully none of the fatal "issues".  I expected better from Canon, and apparently HP has alao really gone downhill too.  Had bought a replacement HP for this Canon day before yesterday, as I have always done well with HP.  However, after reading reviews on the HP (I usually read reviews first, buy second), I didn't even bother to open the box, I just took it straight back to Costco.  That HP (7645) had most every issue a printer can have, and now HP has designed their printers so you can ONLY use HP ink cartridges (and it will screw you around on those too if you don't handle them just right!).

So what the heck gives with HP and Canon anyways?!  They used to make such excellent products, now they're just pieces of crap with expensive marketing programs.  Canon, HP, people won't buy junk for very long, you'd better get that message through your head.  QUALITY!!!....that's right, today's consumers actually expect quality, and yes, at an affordable price.  You don't have to be the cheapest (price that is), but you need to have the best quality and reliability, and don't try and rip people off on print cartridges.  If you ever let that message sink in and put it into practice, I might buy another one of your products....but it will be years from now, and you will have to prove yourself to me.  I build computers.  You can sell me junk once, but not twice.  Now, in the meantime, I'll just wait for my new E**** brand printer to arrive and see if it lasts any longer than my 10 year HP or my 2 year Canon.

See ya later Canon.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements