cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

wow.  My posts keep getting deleted.   I'm mearly trying to offer a solution that the problem identified in this thread has been recongonized in a class action suit. 

Canon will respond with:

"Unplug the printer, press the power button five times."

Bite my printer Canon!

Ultramagnetic74
Apprentice
I had the same problem. I was told to unplug the printer, press the power button five times, wait one minute, and plug it back in. Don't know exactly what this did internally, but the printer powered back on. Hope it helps you.

kagebaka
Apprentice

Another one bites the dust MX712. This is very disheartening from a very reputable company. Now i have a bunch of extra useless print cartridges and a couple brand new ones stuck in the machine.

There is a clear widespread problem with this printer. Canon should make an effort to reach out to MX892 owners. Offer us something.. anything. Show us that you care. Just last month I was debating between a Canon and a Nikon DSLR and I ended up going with Nikon -- primarily because of what happened with this printer.

I heard through the grape vine, Canon is being sued in a few class action suits.  Some say, that is why they

are not responding to customer requests for help.  I guess they think it is better to ignore customer issues in

order to avoid incriminating themselves.

Frankly, I think their inaction re: this "machines crapping out" problem will and is resulting in more damage

to the company than it would if they did the right thing.  Look at some of the other threads on this site -

many of them are about Canon printers crapping out.  Canon's response to almost all of the issues is:

"buy another printer".  To which I agree - just not another Canon printer.

I guess we should just be happy Canon doesn't make vaccines and medicines.

If this is the case, thank god i'm cutting my losses and just destroyed the printer trying to remove the ink. I tried every solution on this board and nothing. I've got 5 extra stacks of ink and none of the current printers can use it. Good thing i got them on sale. HP here I come.

kagebaka -

Sorry to hear about your bad luck printer.  When each of my three (3) different Canon

printers stopped working, I was stuck with a stack of useless ink cartridges - FOR EACH ONE.

Maybe I can use them like logos and make something useful out of them.

My HP's still running strong (I just bought a bunch of replacement cartridges).  Try one.

I think you will like it.

Hey, if the HP stops working you can let us know here.

Whatever way you go, Good Luck.

Which HP printer did you get? I'm currently shopping around.

It's an HP Photosmart 7525.  It does everything the Canon did, only this one works.

About the same size, etc. - it even comes in black.

Announcements