cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 882 in if there is an answer machine on the line I can only receive faxes manually

mort
Contributor

I have a Pixma MX 882. I was told a while back by Canon Support that if there is an answer machine on the same line as the Canon that I can only receive faxes manually. Has Canon solved the problem.?

HP can do it, Brothers can do it, old Fax only machines can do it

2 REPLIES 2

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi mort,

This is true...but let me clarify the setup for you.  The answering machine must be connected directly to the printer.   Your phone cord will come from the wall outlet, into your PIXMA MX882 (L port on your printer) and then out (from the phone port) to the answering machine.  With your printer connected between the wall outlet and the answering machine, the printer can "listen in" for a fax on the line when the answering machine picks up.  Be sure the printer is set to Tel Priority mode and the answering machine is set to pick up in about 3 rings.

If this didn't work, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to Contact Us!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried that setup at one time and it didn't work. MX882 directly to phone line. Output of MX882 to phone/answer machine (as you described) and other phones located in various rooms located throughout the house. The reality is the printer is located in my office upstairs and he answer machine is in the kitchen downstairs.. MX882 directly to the phone line . Output of MX882 to a phone (upstairs) Other phones located throughout the house. The answer machine is located downstairs. What I don't understand is why Canon doesn't design new circuitry for future units.

(not the MX882). Competitors equivalent products have that capability

Announcements