cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MP 980, Mac OS 10.14, Can't find a driver

DaveZ
Apprentice

Hi Canon Community.

I have an MP 980 (maybe 7 or 8 years old) that I would like to connect to my MacBook.  Alas, I'm unable to find a driver for OS 10.14.

Is this for real?  Canon is happy to sell ink for the printer but not provide a driver for my laptop?  I must be looking in the wrong place.

Any help pointing me to the right place would be appreciated.

Thanks...Dave Z.

2 REPLIES 2

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi DaveZ,

Canon does not have updated drivers or software that were developed for use with the PIXMA MP980 when used under the Mac OS Mojave (10.14) operating system; however, you can try downloading and installing the Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks versions of the drivers and software from the Canon USA website here to see if this will allow the printer to work with your operating system so that you can print and scan using MP Navigator. 

You will want to download and install the CUPS, Scanner and ICA Drivers from the DRIVERS section of the webpage, and the MP Navigator Opener and MP Navigator EX files from the SOFTWARE section of the page. 

Prior to downloading the drivers, please ensure that the MAVERICKS operating system is selected in the "Operating System" field on the page so that drivers for that operating system are displayed.  Please also install the items in the order listed above.

Please note, since the Mavericks versions of the drivers and software were developed prior to Mojave being released, they may not work with the Mojave operating system.  Also, in the event that they do work, we cannot guarantee that they will continue to work if a future Mac OS update or upgrade is installed on your Mac.

I would also like to offer you participation in our Canon Upgrade Program.  Canon's Upgrade Program allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a new or refurbished product that uses Canon's newest technologies, carries a one year limited manufacturer's warranty, and to help you get up and running quickly, offers free ground shipping. 

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 am to Midnight, EST.  Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Reason why Canon should update software for MP 980 printer/scanner:  The MP 980 is an outstanding and somewhat unique device.  It can scan up to four 35mm slides using the supplied adaptor and create an individual file for each slide.  That's really big!  If I had known Canon would not continue to support the MP 980, I would have made a project of scanning all of my old slides, but now, with my MacBook running osX Mojave, I'm pretty much in the ditch.  

I wish Canon would reconsider investing a few hours to update the MP 980 software for the 64-bit Mac environment.

Kind regards.

Announcements