cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG7720 printing black only - New Printhead!

Habu
Contributor

Hello everyone,
My MG7720 printer got the printhead squares double walls but printing all the colors somehow ok. Doing an automatic and manual cleaning made the colors better but the lines at the top of the page were still double - issue reflected in the text as well. Many rows are printed with double letters.

Talking with Canon support I ended up ordering a new printhead & set of ink cartridges - which did solve the issue with the double letters but now my printer print NO Colors at all. As you can see in my Nozzle Check below, no colors are coming out. Nothing with the old printhead, nothing with the new printhead. Brand new ink cartridges, regular cleaning, deep cleaning, nothing works.

The only error I have is when I do an Automatic Printhead Alignment I get the 2500 error as is in the below screenshot. Anyone any idea what's wrong with this printer?

Canon doesn't seem to be any worried about my problems with their product even after spending so much money on new ink and new printhead. Please help!

Capture.JPG

IMG_20210626_162821.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Habu
Contributor

Unbelievable I was able to figure this issue out.
Thinking that this printer was not working properly not even with the original or a new printhead I've decided to buy a new printer, the same MG7720 since I had the new printhead as well as some ink.

The new printer came today and I did a printhead swap between the old and the new printers and everything works well on both printers. All this issue was an incompatibility of the new printhead and my old printer.

If you end up in a similar situation try a different printhead - it did work well for me!

IMG_20210714_224436.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Habu
Contributor

Unbelievable I was able to figure this issue out.
Thinking that this printer was not working properly not even with the original or a new printhead I've decided to buy a new printer, the same MG7720 since I had the new printhead as well as some ink.

The new printer came today and I did a printhead swap between the old and the new printers and everything works well on both printers. All this issue was an incompatibility of the new printhead and my old printer.

If you end up in a similar situation try a different printhead - it did work well for me!

IMG_20210714_224436.jpg

You said you "swapped heads" but then why did the old head work in the new printer?  And aren't you stuck with a new printhead that won't work in either one?  Did you order the wrong printhead or did Canon or another vendor sell you the wrong one, and will they refund the error?

I've got the same problem about printing only black ink.

It seems most likely that there is some firmware 'feature' that is preventing the printer from using the new printhead.

I don't see that buying a new printer is a fix for the trouble of a printhead not printing properly.

Did you buy a new CANON printhead in your first attempt to fix the problem?  Or was it a 3rd party type?

Thanks - and CONGRATULATIONS!  on having a working printer.

Habu
Contributor

I have no idea why the old printhead works on the new printer... But, I think I'll just keep them like that for now, it works perfectly. It was strange to have the old printer not printing color even with a new printhead, I'm glad I didn't put it in the garbage before getting the new printer. 🙂  

The original printhead was printing double-letters, and that's the extra printhead I had (I already throw it since wasn't working properly) - but I didn't try this again since was defective.

I bought the new printhead from Canon Canada, and it was strange that wasn't printing color since it was new. But as soon as I've swap it with the printhead from the new printer it worked perfectly. I assume one of the contacts was not connected properly... Can't really tell...

Habu
Contributor
Hey,
Sorry to hear that you are in the same situation.
You may be right with the firmware version that does not accept new print heads. I bought mine from Canon Canada - oem. I didn't want to risk it with cheap china refurbished print heads that are mostly used prin heads that are just cleaned before re-selling.

I bought my second printer simply because I couldn't fix the old one, but after getting the new one and swapped the print heads I end up with 2 working printers. Now I'm selling the old one which should help me get some money back.

Try to get a different printhead from a used printer - it may help you with the issue. Or see if you can update printer firmware.

Not really sure what to recommend you to do. Probably even a cheap 3rd party print head may solve the problem for you.

Keep me posted on your progress. Hope you'll be able to fix it soon. Good luck!

We bought a new printhead from Canon USA and it, too, will print ONLY the black ink.

The original printhead was printing poorly, no Cyan and the Yellow was splotchy so we ordered the new one.

After putting in the new one, I swapped back to the original again and now the original won't print ANY colors either - only the black ink.

I can't see how this could be a hardware problem unless the new printhead from Canon was defective enough to have broken something inside the printer, but, we'll see.  If I finally find a fix that isn't just buying a new printer, I'll be back later, otherwise thanks and g'luck!

Same problem as me with the new Print Head. 😞

This is ridiculous from Canon to have this kind of issues with their own hardware. I wonder if they chack this forum to learn more about the problems we have with their products!!!! #canon

Announcements