cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5750 wasting a lot of ink on cleaning every time it prints

avr32freak
Apprentice

Hello Canon,

My Pixma MG5750 is wasting a lot of ink on print head cleaning.

I print a page every few days, so I keep the printer off most of time.

Then I turn it on, and try to print.

Prior to any printing, it will perform some automatic head cleaning.

Then few minutes after print has finished, it will AGAIN, completely on its own, do some head cleaning.

Result:

I barely printed 1 color and 5 text pages since I bought the printer few weeks ago and ink levels are almost one third depleated.

At this rate ink will be completely depleated after barely 30 prints for sure.

Keeping the printer always-on (even if being not energy efficient) it won't solve the problem as printer cleans the heads few minutes after printing anyway.

Looking at your forum, this MG6470 thread originating from 2015. describes similar problems:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/My-Canon-Pixma-MG6470-purges-too-muc...

It seems to me your ink jets are showing similar issues for years without being patched.

This is unacceptable. If I was aware of this prior to my purchase, it would have severely influenced my purchasing decision.

Using firmware 2.030 and printing via wifi (although not relevant for the problem).

So: how to disable ANY AUTOMATIC CLEANING?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

BillS
Mentor

Hi avr32freak,

I'm afraid the self-test function of the PIXMA MG5750 cannot be disabled.  Based on your usage, leaving the printer on between uses is the best way to maintain ink levels.  If the printer must be turned off, please use the power button on the operations panel, rather than turning off from a wall switch or power strip.  Powering off this way will force a sel-test when the printer is turned on.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements