cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5650 - no power after firmware update

DarkWarrior
Apprentice

Hello Members,

I have been doing firmware updates before but this one time caused my printer not to turn on.

I tested the power supply and it seems to be okay.

Any ideas of the possible cause for this power problem?

Cheers

DarkWarrior

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Flashing is usually safe, but the potential for bricking a device is possible if something goes wrong.  Loss of power, corrupt file, flashing via a wireless connection, etc.  Printers often require USB for this.  

In your case however, I don't see any firmware available for your device.  Are you sure you didn't run a firmware update for another product?

https://www.canon.ie/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series...

Available firmware (0)

Firmware is permanent software which is installed on your product and enables it to function correctly. Canon may periodically release updates to this firmware and if there is an update available, this can be downloaded below.

The firmware on your product is the latest version and no update is necessary.  
Certain Canon products will display a message when an update is available and this can then be installed directly from the product itself via the settings menu.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you @shadowsports for your comment.

To answer your question: You know that message on the screen that prompts you to update the firmware? I had ignored one for quite some months and then one day (a few weeks ago) i decided to allow for the firmware update. So i did not go looking for a firmware.

I wanted to see whether there could be some insights from the members before i go the long road of trying to dismantle the printer and fix it myself. I know one or two things about electronics should no worries of something going wrong.

I still don't understand what really happened after the firmware update. Hope other members have some ideas.

Cheers

DarkWarrior

Announcements