cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5220 Question:Compatible ink problem! How can I replace all tanks without a low ink message?

Shorty47
Apprentice

Yes, I did the big NO-NO and started using compatible ink to save money on ink! 😞  But it has worked well for years until recently.  A couple of my tanks got low so I replaced them one at a time but when I put the Cyan (blue) in I noticed it did leak but proceeded letting it do its processing on that tank then I replaced the yellow tank but noticed the yellow tank was lit up while none of the other tanks were. I don't know are the tanks supposed to be lit up solid?  I know when they are blinking that indicates the tank to be replaced.  I printed something following that and there was way too much pink/orange in the copy so I started doing maintenance procedures following he manual for the printer.  To no avail.  I talked to  the ink company but they would only suggest the maintenance procedures.  They said they'd give me my money back on the ink but suggested I call Canon for service.  The printer is way too old for any servicing on it.  So I purchased all 5 new Canon brank ink tanks (that set me back) but can't find any instructions for replacing all the tanks at once except not to replace 2 or more at one timel.  Still normally you need to wait for the low ink message.  Don't want to totally mess up the low ink notifications either!  Hope someone know what to do to get my Canon printing well again!  It has been an excellent printer up to now!

4 REPLIES 4

SamanthaW

Hi!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

We'd recommend performing the deep cleaning option (no more than twice in one day!) to see if you can get the nozzles on the print head clear. Additionally, you should be able to change all ink cartridges at once as an attempt to correct the issue. You can review the steps for replacing ink tanks here: http://Canon.us/n7vr If that fails we'd recommend reaching out to our US-based technical support team for further troubleshooting. They can explore options with you if we find that the printer cannot be fixed.

They're standing by, ready to help 24/7 via email at http://Canon.us/ContactCF or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks! 

Thank you for your quick response to my dilemma!!!  Will try your suggestions but am thinking this model is too old for me to receive tech support. Thanks again for your assistance!

Just thought of a question:   Can I replace the tanks even though a low ink message hasn't come up?  Will that mess up the low ink notifications?  I read in the manual online a person must not replace more than 2 tanks at a time.  You mention I could replace all the tanks at once?  At least it prints just that the colors are off.  I tried your suggestions for doing the deep cleaning twice. Just seems like there's no blue (cyan) printing.  That was the tank that was leaking as I replaced it.  Thanks for responding!

Hi Again!

When replacing with genuine Canon ink cartridges it's alright to replace all of your ink cartridges for troubleshooting purposes. Since you're switching to genuine Canon cartridges it might help the printer recognize the ink levels again. When the light is solid that means there is close to a full tank inserted. When the light flashes slowly it means it's running low, flashing fast means replace soon, and no light means empty, replace as soon as possible.

While this model is a little older, it can still be troubleshooted with our technical support team. They can help fix it or go over your options with you for the next step! We hope this helps! 

Thanks!

Announcements