cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG2522 Printer used on Chromebook.

Camonw
Apprentice

Hello, I recently got a Pixma MG2522 printer and im trying to get it to connect to my Chromebook. Which is not windows or mac. Hopefully you know what it is because im not good with computers. My printer does not connect to wifi of course. Ive tried to go to the website to download the software for the printer but its only for windows, Macbook, Windows rt, i believe. Im hoping someone can help me figure this out. it kind of weird. I believe when i plug the USB cord into my computer it shows up as a Canon MG2500 series (USB). I click on that and then it says Add Printer Manually. So I click Canon under "Manufacturer"  but i dont see my printer option under Model. Which i assume the model is MG2522? or it says "or specify your own driver" which i dont know what that means. Please help....

17 REPLIES 17

Camonw
Apprentice

I have opened a word document to test it. when i go to print i change the destination to the printers name and click print and it says print successful but i never recieve it. 

James_C

Hi Camonw                     

Chromebooks do not use drivers to install printers.  They use Google Cloud print.  There are two methods of printing with Google Cloud print, using a Google Cloud Print ready printer or setting up the service on your computer.

The PIXMA MG2522 unfortunately is not Google Cloud Print compatible.

You may be able set up your PIXMA MG2522 for printing with Google Cloud Print.  Please use the following link for further information regarding setting up a "classic printer":

https://support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/1686197?rd=1

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi James, What if you can't do either one? I added my printer to another laptop I had, but now I got a new laptop & it's way different setup then usual so i'm not used to it. How do I set it up on this new laptop? 

It's an Acer Chromebook R 11 ... I have a Canon MG2500/MG2400 

Hi rebbioficial,

The only print option with a Chromebook is to use Google Cloud Print, which requires a network connection, and I'm afraid that the MG2500 series is USB only.  A network-capable printer would be required.  I regret any inconvenience.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I  have tried to setup the above lised printer with my chromebook my fried has hers up and working  PLease help

Rebbioficial
Apprentice
Hi James,
Your basically saying that I won’t be able to connect my printer into my new laptop? Since my printer I can’t actually connect it to the internet I just plug in the cord into my new computer & that’s basically all ...

Hi rebbioficial,

Printing from a Chromebook requires a printer that can be connected to a wireless network.  No drivers have been developed for the Chrome OS so, even if connected with a USB cable, it would be unable to communicate with your printer.  I am not aware of any way to print from Chromebook to a USB printer.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

djboyd94
Apprentice

I am having the same problem! worked fine with my HP laptop that i had but now i can not get it to work with samsung chromebook 3. im so aggravated!!!!

@Camonw wrote:

Hello, I recently got a Pixma MG2522 printer and im trying to get it to connect to my Chromebook. Which is not windows or mac. Hopefully you know what it is because im not good with computers. My printer does not connect to wifi of course. Ive tried to go to the website to download the software for the printer but its only for windows, Macbook, Windows rt, i believe. Im hoping someone can help me figure this out. it kind of weird. I believe when i plug the USB cord into my computer it shows up as a Canon MG2500 series (USB). I click on that and then it says Add Printer Manually. So I click Canon under "Manufacturer"  but i dont see my printer option under Model. Which i assume the model is MG2522? or it says "or specify your own driver" which i dont know what that means. Please help....

Just to be clear.  Most of the information on this forum is INCORRECT.

Chrome OS began native printer support, including for some Canon printers, in early 2017 via Chrome OS Beta, and by mid-2017 for general release.

My point, anything saying Chromebooks only work with Google Cloud Print is incorrect.  Canon should be providing PPD for their printers, but they don't, unfortunately.

Announcements