cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma G4200 error code 5B00

samohtsirhc
Contributor

My printer stopped printing magenta, then after trying to clean the nozzles the yellow stopped.  Looking inside I saw the tubes with ink were empty.  Looking through the manual(s) it looked like I need to do a ink flush or system cleaning but when I tried that it beeped and starting showing error code 5B00.  I've found some reference to putting it in service mode to reset a counter, is there any official documentation on that?

The printer is about 2 years old and still on the initial ink and I recently had to replace a warped print head.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A bunch of info is available if you search using Google, but there is no official end user solution to this issue since the ink absorber is not a user serviceable part. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Pixma-G4200-Error-Code-5B00/td-p/27...

You can try the reset procedure, or clean the ink absorber manually, put the unit into service mode and run the WIC (Waste Ink Counter) Tool to reset the counter.  These suggestions are not supported by Canon.   

They recommend you to send the unit in for service:  1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A bunch of info is available if you search using Google, but there is no official end user solution to this issue since the ink absorber is not a user serviceable part. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Pixma-G4200-Error-Code-5B00/td-p/27...

You can try the reset procedure, or clean the ink absorber manually, put the unit into service mode and run the WIC (Waste Ink Counter) Tool to reset the counter.  These suggestions are not supported by Canon.   

They recommend you to send the unit in for service:  1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you Rick,  

The WIC reset tool worked.  I tried to get some ink out of the pads first.  They were probably used more than normal due to lots of cleanings tracking down print head that had warped last year.  We'll see if we get through the rest of the first set of inks before it dies again and then decide if the ink tank idea is worth it.  I'm curious if the speculation I read somewhere about the 4210 being released to fix this very problem is true.

I have a G2200 with the 5B00 error code ... where did you find the "WIC reset tool?"

Sorry for the slow response.  I found it here:

[Removed link per Forum Guidelines]

Rlafond2001
Apprentice
How do you get the printer into service mode, to reset WIC?

Rlafond2001
Apprentice
I went ahead and bought a new G7020 mega tank, but know the G4200 should be able to be useful after clearing code!

I have the G7020 and it too will eventually give you an error Indicating the ink absorber pad is full. It is not user replaceable nor does Canon sell a kit for even a local computer shop to replace it. Your printer is essentially a brick at this point. Moral is to not support a company that makes non-fixable printers. Shame on Canon for this B.S.

Rlafond2001
Apprentice
I tried the Canon # several times, and after the bot verified my Model# and transfers me to another bot, he says you must have a valid model #, then hangs up

robertasthomas
Apprentice

I have had both Epson and Canon printers and the only solutions that I found to have worked are to: 1) purchase new ink absorber pads ($4) and purchase WIC reset tool ($10).  The replacement pads can be pulled out and replaced with new ones using tweezers.  

[Commercial links removed per forum guidelines]

Announcements