cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper jam in MX870 printer?

franlynn2
Apprentice

I have a paper jam in my printer, but cannot figure out how to open the back to find it.

Can anyone help?  Cat Frustrated

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi franlynn2,

Use the following diagrams to remove paper jams depending on your scenario:

Paper Is Jammed in the Paper Output Slot or the Rear Tray

Remove the paper following the procedure below.

1. Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

2. Reload the paper, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 1, all print jobs in the queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

If you cannot remove the paper or the paper tears inside the machine, or if the paper jam error continues after removing the paper, contact the service center.

Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport Unit

1. Detach the Rear Cover.

2. Pull the paper out slowly.

1. Attach the Rear Cover.

Push the left side of the Rear Cover until it is closed completely.

If you were not able to remove the paper out in step 2:

1. Remove the Cassette.

3. If any paper is sticking out of the Cassette, remove the paper, align and reload the paper in the Cassette.

If you did not remove the jammed paper out in step 1 to 5 when automatic duplex printing, check the duplex transport section.

4. Insert the Cassette into the machine again, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 2, all print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

If you cannot remove the paper or the paper tears inside the machine, or if the paper jam error continues after removing the paper, contact the service center.

Jammed Paper Is Not Removed out When Automatic Duplex Printing

Before removing the jammed paper, see Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport Unit to remove it from Transport Unit. If the paper jam error continues, remove the jammed paper following the procedure below.

1. Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.

2. Remove the Cassette.

If the paper is loaded on the Rear Tray, remove the paper from the Rear Tray and retract the Paper Support.

3. Set the machine upright with the left side down.

4. Slowly pull the jammed paper out so that the paper does not tear.

5. Align the paper, then reload it in the Cassette.

Reload paper in the Rear Tray, if necessary.

6. Insert the Cassette into the machine again.

7. Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.

All print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

In Other Cases

Make sure of the following:

• Check 1: Are there any foreign objects around the Paper Output Slot?

• Check 2: Are there any foreign objects in the Rear Tray?

If there are any foreign objects in the Rear Tray, be sure to turn off the machine, unplug it from the power supply, then remove the foreign object.

• Check 3: Is the Rear Cover closed completely?

• Check 4: Is the paper curled?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Karl1

Thank you much for your help. My printer is now back in service! 

Cat Very Happy

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi franlynn2,

Use the following diagrams to remove paper jams depending on your scenario:

Paper Is Jammed in the Paper Output Slot or the Rear Tray

1. Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

2. Reload the paper, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 1, all print jobs in the queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport Unit

1. Detach the Rear Cover.

1. Attach the Rear Cover.

Push the left side of the Rear Cover until it is closed completely.

If you were not able to remove the paper out in step 2:

1. Remove the Cassette.

3. If any paper is sticking out of the Cassette, remove the paper, align and reload the paper in the Cassette.

If you did not remove the jammed paper out in step 1 to 5 when automatic duplex printing, check the duplex transport section.

4. Insert the Cassette into the machine again, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 2, all print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

Jammed Paper Is Not Removed out When Automatic Duplex Printing

Before removing the jammed paper, see Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport Unit to remove it from Transport Unit. If the paper jam error continues, remove the jammed paper following the procedure below.

1. Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.

2. Remove the Cassette.

If the paper is loaded on the Rear Tray, remove the paper from the Rear Tray and retract the Paper Support.

3. Set the machine upright with the left side down.

4. Slowly pull the jammed paper out so that the paper does not tear.

5. Align the paper, then reload it in the Cassette.

Reload paper in the Rear Tray, if necessary.

6. Insert the Cassette into the machine again.

7. Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.

All print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

In Other Cases

Make sure of the following:

• Check 1: Are there any foreign objects around the Paper Output Slot?

• Check 2: Are there any foreign objects in the Rear Tray?

If there are any foreign objects in the Rear Tray, be sure to turn off the machine, unplug it from the power supply, then remove the foreign object.

• Check 3: Is the Rear Cover closed completely?

• Check 4: Is the paper curled?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Karl1

Thank you much for your help. My printer is now back in service! 

Cat Very Happy

I downloaded the 'fix', but the photos showing how to remove/replace the back cover did not load, only an X in a box. I also have a quantity of toner to hand. My local computer shop would not look at it as they said it would be cheaper to buy a new printer.

The diagram of how to remove the rear cover does not appear in the message below.  Could your re-send, please.  Thanks, Gunnar

Could you post the diagram again of how to remove the rear cover on MX870.

Didn't help me..

I was getting a line on the printout so I used the printer functions to

a) Do a deep cleaning .. which seemed ok.. when it printed the results with no issue

b) Roller Cleaning which clunked a lot but it finished cleanly

c) Auto head alignment which jammed ..  Removed the jammed paper .  Shut off on, tried it again ,,, same thing the paper jammed. removed the jammed sheet lifting the top cover

d) went through the whole sequence of looking for any paper jammed that I could not see from the top .. nothing

Now anything I try to print, or any print nozzle check pattern or any print head alignment   feeds, prints and jams.,

Note I was not having any jam problems at all before doing the roller cleaning.  Will try that again .. to see what gives.

Any help will be appreciated.  The printer has been pretty flawless for many years or light use.  As I said  it was fine I was just getting a vertical line in the printed result and tried to use the printer features to clean and align and zap .. it won't print without jamming now.

😞

billycook43
Apprentice

Good evening,

I tried the steps listed and still my machine still gives me the error. How do I contact the service center?

Billy Cook

<Removed per forum guidelines>

Hi billycook43,

Please contact our support group using the information provided through the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

dlcogswell
Apprentice

Thanks for the assistance, but my MX870 continues to misfeed paper. The paper feeds from the casette OK, but it just rolls up in the back and doesn't feed under the print heads and out the front. I cannot find any other piece of paper jamming the paper path. The printer says the paper jam is in the output slot and the paper is found behind the rear cover.. It will not feed paper from the rear tray either.

Any help, before I buy a new printer and waste a bunch of ink cartridges I have in stock? This printer has behaved flawlessly for four years or more.

Announcements