cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 with error code B200 (Series MX920)

gnc
Contributor
How do you clear the B200 Support Code on my Printer? I can't do anything with the printer until the B200 code is removed and does not pop up as soon as I power up the printer. AND what causes the B200 code to be active all of a sudden?? My printer is no longer in warranty, but has worked fine until this code issue appeared all of a sudden! Your nearest service center is over 250 miles away----hardly worth while to keep printer if no "work a round" is provided, and I doubt I'd buy another Canon if this issue is not resolved!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gnc
Contributor
I found how to remove & replace the print head (after cleaning it up a bit), but I still get the B200 Support Code. Does this mean I must buy a new print head???

View solution in original post

155 REPLIES 155

I have been getting the B200 error randomly and at the worst times for the past few years and usually get it cleared but not tonight.  I hate it because it takes a long time for the cartridge to cycle, and cycle, and cycle.

Low ink and or refilled cartridges seems to to awake the evil code. Today it was with filled ink.I tried half a dozed times to close the lid past half way but not full left. It's tricky because when it goes full left it's about the 4th time moving left.

After four tries I removed and cleaded the print head. Too much black ink and I thought that fixed it but nope.

The MX922 is unplugged for the night and may the B200 electron spirits reach zero energy.

I am ready for a different printer because this was like the 100th time, one time too many again and at an incnvientient time again. I am going to use up the ink in the two sets of cartridges while I shop for other printer.
B200 has always returned, unexpededly. Big waste of time watching the print head cycle.. 

You've come to the conclusion most of us in this discussion will find: it's a crappy printer. I joined this discusson long ago because, like you and the many, we receive the B200 error. What a waste of time and machinery to find it's an inherant promblem with this and similar inkjet machines. I never had this with my old HP. I've moved to a B&W HP laser and it's a rock - always ready, always delivers, no messing around with ink issues. I wish all of you the best coming to your own conclusion. For me, Canon blew it big time by not recalling this printer and offering us trusting consumers an upgrade.

Regarding this B200 major problem. I had always been able to clear the B200 error, at least for a sutible leangth of time. But after the last time I had both sets of inks refilled I can't evade the B200 monster
  TodayI had the printer show me the ink numbers:

PGI-255XXL<PGBK>

PGI-250XL<PGBK>

CLI-251XL<BK

CLI-251XL<C>

CLI-251XL<M>

CLI-251XL<Y>

and the following which I have and have always used

PGI-250<PGBK>

CLI-251<BK>, C, M, and Y.

I never looked at this info before. Is it the fist six ink numbers that are causing the error and why would I have those numbers at all?

Needafix, a drink and a printer that prints or easy to fix. 

I have my 2012 MacBook Pro totally dismanteled (because I can) right next to the B200 take it in for service piece of junk. It scans color photos just fine, It can fax in color, can't print, can't make ot print in only black or any single color.  what does a tech do to fix the B200 error? You'd think Canon would have told us by now. 

Mcron
Apprentice
@loopshacker

Cjcary35
Contributor
I've been getting notifications from this forum for over a year now... I've removed printhead, etc etc...
Nothing worked until your post...

It's printing ..... I will get new printhead if (when) it returns ... As it sounds like error could be a repeat offender... I like the printer.. thx !

gmlmorris
Apprentice

Just had this problem.  Nothing worked.  Called Canon.  They had me unplug my printer from the surge protector and plug it into the wall direct.  Problem SOLVED.  Apparently B200 is a 'general' electrical problem and my surge protector was not providing enough current suddenly, maybe due to some recent storms.

justmetoo
Apprentice

i don't know if this will help anyone but I just got this message B200. Found out what it was related to. opened up the door to inspect the head and found it on the left side of the track. I pushed it all the way back to the right and then started it up again and it started up again just fine, no message.

I am waiting on it now to copy and print...and sucess! It is printing beautifully. It was a very ink intensive print that was pretty much solid across the entire page.

The ONE thing I did differently, before turning my printer on was to unplug the usb cable from it's port and use that port to download another piece of software. That was last night. I even had a slight hesitation about doing it but went ahead. When I turned the printer on, this morning, and I got the nessage, I wondered if that was what caused the problem.

Anyway. I turned it off and just turned it back on again. Still good.

I hope this can be of help to someone. I love this printer but it has it's quirks. I have been the one to cause the problems however. Every time.

E3Engineer
Apprentice

I had a B200 code on my Canon MX922.   I tried all of the suggested fixes that I could find without any luck.  One attempted fix was to remove the print head assembly and soak the base in a mixture of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.  That did not work.  Removal of the printhead is published in several places.  It is not really difficult.  So finally, I removed the print head again and sprayed both the gold contact surfaces on the printhead and the contact posts that mate with the surfaces inside of the printer slot with contact cleaner from Lowes and wiped them with Q-tips.  Magically, the printer is fine now.  The contact cleaner is an insulator that is very volatile.  It evaporates very quickly.  It is what used to be used to clean channel tuners in old televisions and switches in older electronincs.  We old engineers know it well. 

This MX922 is my second one.  My first one died about 3 to 4 years ago with the same code.  I threw it away and bought the present one for about $90.

haotian
Apprentice

Latest solutions:

1. When opening the ink cover, press the power key to start the machine. When the ink box moves left and right, close the cover, and then press the "menu" button continuously. After a while, enter the setting interface. If the ink is enough, directly enter the maintenance and deep cleaning.

2. If it fails, you can turn on the machine when the cover is open, wait for the prompt "cover is open" on the screen, then remove all the ink cartridges, and then turn off the machine; then install all the ink cartridges in the off state, and then try again with the method of 1.

3. The B200 fault is caused by the lack of ink, or the ink cartridge is loose, or the chip under the ink cartridge is dusty. The main board is very small.

This is the second time I got the B200 code.  The first machine I gave up on.  For some reason I never saw this fix.  My second machine was used bu in better shape than the other. I just tried your fix.  All I had to do is turn on then machine with the ink cover open and it cleared the code and started working.  Thanks for the tip...

Announcements