cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX892 will not power on.

artc96161
Apprentice

My PIXMA MX892 suddenly stopped working.  Upon further review, it has a power problem.  I followed the procedure outlined on the help page:  unplug for five minutes, try new outlet, and all that.  Its symptoms are that upon plugging it in after its being unplugged for several minutes, lights momentarily flash (maybe one second or less) as if it's going to power up, but then is goes dead again.  It acts like there's a little relay somewhere that's responding to a current overload or an overheat situation.  Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

chmod
Contributor

Yes, call Tech Support. 

This does not sound like something a few button pushes will resolve.

good luck

chmod

duhostudios
Apprentice

MY MX892 has been working fine until I came into work this morning.  It's completely dead.  It won't turn on.  I tried another cord and another outlet but nothing is happening.  I've started to take it apart looking for a restart switch.  Can anyone help?

MicheleH
Apprentice

My Canon MX892 abruptly stopped working yesterday also.  The on button will not work at all.  Barely 2 years old with very light use.  I am extremely disapointed to say the least.  I too have gone through the recommended procedures to 'fix' and have had no results.  And of course, to make matters worse, this occured at a critical time when I happen to be on a presentation deadline.  I have never had a machine that just flat out stop working without any kind of warning or precursor problems.  I will try the service centre tomorrow to see if there is any help there.

I also had same problem. Contacted customer service at Canon. Eventually was told it could be a capacitor in the power supply.  Sounded like a common problem as they came up with that answer pretty quickly.  I really like the MX892..did a good job for me..  I have tried to take the cover off to access the power supply and have problems releasing the tabs on the cover..

Have you found out anything yet about yours ?

I emailed Canon tech support and got this response:

Good morning and thank you for contacting Canon product support. I understand your PIXMA MX892 is having an issue powering on. I will be more than happy to help.

I have listed a few steps and check points below we can try to resolve this issue. Please complete the following steps:

1.  Make sure the power cord is securely seated in the printer and the wall outlet.

2.  If you have the printer connected in a surge protector, try connecting the power cord straight to a wall jack.

3.  Try to disconnect all connections from the printer for five to ten minutes. Right after all connections are disconnected, press the power button five times to release any electrical charge the printer may be holding. After five to ten minutes, reconnect the printer to power, and attempt to power the printer on once more.

4.  Try to connect the printer to a different well known working power outlet.

5.  Try a spare power cord, perhaps from a different device in your home with the same kind of power cord.

If the issue persists after these troubleshooting steps, the unit is exhibiting symptoms that will require service.

Repair service is no longer available for this product. However, in appreciation of your continued loyalty, we understand your need for a working printer, and would like to offer you our Canon Loyalty Program.

Canon's Loyalty Program is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free FedEx Ground shipping. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.

I was told by tech support that I was eligible for the Customer Loyalty Program.  I called, and was told it's a 10% discount and free shipping.  For a new MX922, that would come to $161.99 with no shipping.  Well, the MX922 is available at Amazon for $99 with no shipping, or I can go pick one up at Staples for $99.  Or Newegg has it for $129.

So before you buy from the Customer Loyalty Program, shop around.

Nothing new. Just another unhappy customer with the PIXMA 892. After a few years it just died suddenly leaving me many unused ink cartridges. Thanks Cannon apparently you've done nothing to improve this problem but creating another monster unit for sale. Good luck with that!

I HAVE A MX860 MULTIFUNCTION MACHINE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. i HAVE BEEN TOLD ALL OF THE ANSWERS. WHAT THEY ARE REALLY SAYING IS THEIR TECH'S DONOT HAVE HOW TROUBLESHOOT THEIR OWN MACHINES NOR DO THEY KNOW HOW TO REPAIR THEM. I PURCHASED A HP MULTIFUNCTION MACHINE. IT IS JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN  A CANON MACHINE. NEEDLESS TO SAY IA M NO LONGER A CANON CUSFKMER.

JAMES WOOD

artc96161
Apprentice

I'm sorry to report that I solved the above-described problem, but 1) so much time has elapsed since then that I forgot how I did it and 2) I failed to report to the forum at the time.  This is my second, and last, Canon all-in-one printer.  The first one developed a psychosis soon after it was out of warranty, and I allowed Canon service to talk me into buying another one at a discount.  There must be a more reliable brand of all-in-one printer out there somewhere, and who needs a fax these days, anyway?  A printer/scanner/copier would meet all of my needs.

Announcements