cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX410 does not work on Big Sur (“Filter Failed”)

adamsfamily
Contributor
My Pixma printer has been working fine from Yosemite until Catalina (incl). It doesn't work on Big Sur anymore...

This is what I did:

1) Clean install of Big Sur 11.2.3 on a MacBook Pro 2018
2) Add Printer -> My mac can see the MX 410 series printer but doesn't have any driver for it
3) Went to Canon's website, found the printer, downloaded the latest driver (released for Sierra...)
4) Installed the driver (mcpd-mac-mx410-16_10_0_0-ea21_3.dmg)
5) Rebooted MacBook
6) Add Printer -> Select the MX410 printer (Bonjour) - now the MX410 driver has been automatically selected
7) Printer has been added -> great

Whenever I try to print something, I always get the famous 'Filter Failed' error message in the printer’s window.

Any ideas how to solve this?

(I don't want to convert this printer into electrical waste just because of a missing driver)
17 REPLIES 17

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi adamsfamily,

The PIXMA MX410 is not supported wth macOS 11 (Big Sur).  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002.  They're available weekdays and Saturdays after 11 AM ET (8 AM PT). Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrick,

Why is Canon contributing to dumping electrical waste to our forests and oceans?

I mean, this printer is working just fine. It's working fine from 1) Windows and from 2) MacOS Catalina. I have a ton of supply material purchased. I don't want to dump that to the waste a nobody else should.

Even on macOS BigSur I can print with this printer with the open-source Gutenberg drivers. So the printer is communicating just fine with Big Sur, however, the Gutenberg drivers don't let me chose certain parameters like print quality, black & white ink, etc.

Given the fact that Canon is making money mostly on inks and less or printers, even if you don't care about electronic waste and the environment, you should fix the drivers so that I keep buying supplies. If I can't use this printer anymore, I would go and buy an HP or Lexmark because this ruins my trust in Canon. What will happen next year? Will you say 'Sorry, not supported on macOS 16, go and buy a new printer'?

This is a shameful proposition.

I agree with Patrick.  I have an MX410 that works fine on my old macbook pro, which runs on OS X El Capitan.  I bought a new Macbook Air which has OS Big Sur and now I'm supposed to buy a new printer, even though my MX410 works fine? I am sending my files to my old computer to print. I should not have to buy a new printer.

Yes, just let me clarify: you agree with me (adamsfamily) :), Patrick was the one saying 'hey buy a new printer, ya' 😞

I'n sorry! Yes, I was agreeing with you.  We should be able to use our older working printer with our new computer.

Yes, it makes no sense to produce electrical waste because of business.

Cannon should write a new driver and sell it 30% or 50% of the price of a new printer, would still be a better solution.

Nonetheless, I have partial success with the GutenPrint driver. I've got version "gutenprint-5.3.3.dmg". I can print, at least. It has a few bugs (e.g. it pauses printing between jobs - fortunately you can Resume from your Mac) and I also think sometimes it prints blacks a R+G+B (maybe just my impression). Still worth a try for you!

Still a shame for Canon!! I refuse to buy a new canon printer! Will be using this as long as I can and then I try another brand.

Welp, this is terrible. My printer does not seem outdated and I just spent a bunch of cash on new ink. I need to print tonight and the Canon Upgrade place isn't open until Monday. What a disaster. It's not like I have an iPhone 3 or a dot matrix printer. I guess this is an opportunity to go back to Staples and buy another pritner. What are the chances you think I'm going to buy a Canon, again?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nickharder
Apprentice

What ended up happening? I have a new MBP with MacOS Monterey and it looks like it might not be compatible as well.  

Actually the GutenPrint driver seem to do a very decent job. I'm using version 5.5.3:
   https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.3/

Works for me on Big Sur, I'd be happy if you confirm to me whether it works with Monterey?

Announcements