cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX 492 windows 10 install error

klogan70
Apprentice

I have just recently purchased an HP laptop running windows 10 and am trying setup my Canon MX 492 printer as a network printer.  I have two other laptops running windows 7 and they installed the printer just fine.  I have downloaded the installation software from the Canon website (win-mx490-1_1-ucd) and have tried to install the printer several times using the Cableless setup.  Each time I run the installation, I get the following message "New port could not be created:0000".  When I try to print to the printer, the job errors.  I feel like I am going in circles trying to resolve this.  Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi klogan70,

Please download the driver from our web site:

Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

Click the Select button next to "MX490 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 (Windows)".

Once downloaded, please open your downloads folder

Copy the "mp68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3.exe" file to your desktop

Change the .exe part of the file to .zip

Double click mp68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3.zip

Copy the new folder to your desktop

Double click the new folder, mp68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3

Double click the LAN folder

Double click CNMNPU.EXE to run the uninstaller

Once complete, please click the back button

Double click the DRVSETUP folder

Double click SETUP64.exe to reinstall

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Greetings,

Patrick's steps are accurate.

The .exe is self extracting.  When you change the extension to .zip, it loses this functionality.  Double clicking the .zip file does not try to install the driver.

It does allow you to view the file's contents. 

Open the LAN folder.  The referenced utility is there.

CNMNPU.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

to shadowsports and Patrick.

I finally got your instructions to work and am now able to print.  I Googled some information on changing exe files to zip files and discovered that I needed to have a "switch" turned off  in the File Explorer Options settings.  For future reference, here are the steps.

click on start menu

click on settings

in the search box, type in "file explorer options"

in the results window, click on "file explorer options"

in the "file explorer options" window, click view

uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types"

click "apply"

9 REPLIES 9

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi klogan70,

Please download the driver from our web site:

Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

Click the Select button next to "MX490 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 (Windows)".

Once downloaded, please open your downloads folder

Copy the "mp68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3.exe" file to your desktop

Change the .exe part of the file to .zip

Double click mp68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3.zip

Copy the new folder to your desktop

Double click the new folder, mp68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3

Double click the LAN folder

Double click CNMNPU.EXE to run the uninstaller

Once complete, please click the back button

Double click the DRVSETUP folder

Double click SETUP64.exe to reinstall

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for responding, Patrick.  When I get to your instruction to double click mp-68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3.zip,  this tries to install the printer.  The message "new port could not be created:0000" comes up again.  The next screen

has the message "MP drivers not installed" .   I cannot find the "new" folder that you mentioned anywhere nor can I find the file CNMNPU.exe.  Please help again.

Greetings,

Patrick's steps are accurate.

The .exe is self extracting.  When you change the extension to .zip, it loses this functionality.  Double clicking the .zip file does not try to install the driver.

It does allow you to view the file's contents. 

Open the LAN folder.  The referenced utility is there.

CNMNPU.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Again, thanks for helping.  I must be missing something in the instructions.  When I change the file extension from .exe to .zip and then double click, the program extracts the files and tries to install the printer.  I have even downloaded  the file to my windows 7 laptop and tried the instructions, but get the same results.  My technical expertise is limited, so if there are any implied steps that I am missing, please let me know.  For instance, am I changing the file extension correctly by right-clicking and renaming?  Do I need to ZIP and Unzip anything?

I finally got your instructions to work and am now able to print.  I Googled some information on changing exe files to zip files and discovered that I needed to have a "switch" turned off  in the File Explorer Options settings.  For future reference, here are the steps.

click on start menu

click on settings

in the search box, type in "file explorer options"

in the results window, click on "file explorer options"

in the "file explorer options" window, click view

uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types"

click "apply"

Greetings,

By default windows hides file types with known extensions.

So you were renaming the file to (example) xx_windows_installer.exe.zip and not able to browse the folder. 

Glad you figured it out. 

FNExt.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I followed all of the advice here and I still got the same message and the printer driver would not install. I went through all my apps to make sure anything related to canon was deleted, restarted the pc, and tried again...same message the printer driver will not load because the print spooler has stopped..funny thing I check the print spooler and its running! Do you have any other thoughts on how to install my PIXMA 492 drivers? Thanx, Carts

this solution did not work for me...any other suggestions?

@carts,

Your print spooler being "stopped" is unrelated to this topic. "New port could not be created:0000."

If you want help, please start your own thread so your issue gets the visibility and attention it deserves.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements