cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MP480 drivers

mfranco
Contributor

I have a rather old but VERY reliable and SOLID Pixma MP480 printer/scanner that I use with my MacBook Pro. I have been able to upgrade my OS to 10.10.5 (Yosemite) with great results because a proper driver was available. I would like to know if I can do further OS upgrades. I have looked at this info on the Cannon website, but the information listed regarding actual drivers, past OS 10.10 is not usefull. Please help. Thanx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, mfranco!

The MP480 went out of service life in 2014. That means we're no longer developing software and drivers for it as of that date, and no longer actively support it.

If you'd like to upgrade your OS to a modern version of the OS, our Sales Team can assist you with discounted pricing using the Canon Upgrade Program, to help get you into a modern printer as well. They're at 1-866-443-8002 Monday - Saturday 9am to 9pm (ET). 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The printer itself appears to be oficially supported under 10.10 Yosemite.  It might work with OS's after Yosemite, but Image Garden is only supported through Mojave 10.14.   

The only way to find out...

Creat a time machine back up of your existing OS.

Upgrade, install and test the printer.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you shadowsports for the reply. I DO NOT use or need Image Garden.

In your text, the "it might work" remains an unknown wether you use Image Garden or not?

Anybody out there thrying to keep early 2011 MacBook Pros going?

Hi mfranco,

The PIXMA MP480 is not supported with macOS v10.15.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrick. Thank you so much for your response.

Two more questions:

1. What about macOS 10.11, 10.12, 10.3 or 10.4?

2. What current Canon printer/scanner would be comparable to the MP480 and will it still be using the Solution Menu software that I found so great?

I must tell you that a few months ago I purchased a Canon Pixma TS6220, after looking at a photo of the product, thinking that it was going to be a solid product like the MP480 but I returned it because I was not satisfied with it.

Hi mfranco,

The last version of OS X that the PIXMA MP480 was supported with was Mac OS X v10.10.

None of the current printers use an application like the Solution Menu.

What was the issue that you had with your PIXMA TS6220?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

In response to your question, that unit is NOT solidly built and I found the software erratic and not that user friendly.

Is there a possibility that Canon would develop drivers  for the MP-480 past OS 10.10?

Thank you for all your advice.

Hi, mfranco!

The MP480 went out of service life in 2014. That means we're no longer developing software and drivers for it as of that date, and no longer actively support it.

If you'd like to upgrade your OS to a modern version of the OS, our Sales Team can assist you with discounted pricing using the Canon Upgrade Program, to help get you into a modern printer as well. They're at 1-866-443-8002 Monday - Saturday 9am to 9pm (ET). 

Announcements