cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MP470 Unusable after upgrade to MacOS 11.0.1 Big Sur

sholtsberg
Apprentice

I've upgraded my Mac to MacOS 11.0.1 Big Sur and now I can no longer print or scan from my printer, PIXMA MP470. I went to the Canon download page, and it says "There is no software for the OS Version you selected.". Will the drivers and software be available?

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thats hard to say. The printer is 6+ yrs old.  No drivers for W10 were released either.

MAC only has drivers for OS 10.9 Mavericks.

Because of that, Its unlikely you will see drivers for Big Sur.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The Mavericks driver worked up to and including Catalina. But doesn't work with Big Sur. I really hope Canon supplies a new driver. I dion't want to have to buy a new printer just because I upgraded my operating system.

Thanks ... moving to a different brand I guess. Smiley Frustrated
This is shameful ... there is not a single thing wrong with my printer. It's been great!
I have to go buy a new printer bc they don't WANT to write an update so Macs can print.
See ya!

tamhudson
Apprentice

Canon Please make a driver available for this printer.

Thank you

jlehigh
Apprentice

I was able to get this to function with a workaround using the Gutenprint driver. '

Running MacOS Big Sur v11.4. Tested and printed fine.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/

AWESOME!!!
I'll give it a try! Thanks so much JLEHIGH ...
I was JUST looking a new printers last weekend.
-----
Update:
Gave it a try and it works like a charm!!

Thanks so much for the info ... it saved me from buying a new printer and kept this one out of the landfill. 😄

I'm having the same issue.  i have catalina 10.15.7    would Gurenprint driver work for me?  I do not like technology but can usually figure things out like this if i have help!  please help!  my printer is only a few years old and stopped working within a year of buying it.....

oh, my printer is a Pixma MG 7520 if that matters.  thanks!

msill
Apprentice
I would give it a try.
Delete your printer profile in the Mac’s Printer Settings.
Install the Gutenprint driver. Restart with your printer on and connected to your Mac. Then add your printer as if it was new. It should show up and work as normal.
Those were the steps I took and my Mac recognized my Canon perfectly.
Announcements