cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG6120 Compatibility with Mac OS Catalina

dcm229
Apprentice

I am trying to confirm whether or not my PIXMA MG6120 printer will be compatible with Mac OS Catalina (the latest and greatest version of Mac OS).  I have tried checking Canon's Mac OS compatibility list here, however, my printer - the MG6120 - is not listed:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/myportal/us/home/support/self-help-center/Mac-OSX-Compatibility

I have also tried calling Canon customer support, however they tell me that since my printer is over 3 years old, I would have to pay $19.99 to get support for it.  I can't find an email address for Canon customer support, either.  

This is ridiculous - I just want to know whether this printer is compatible with the operating system.  I shouldn't have to pay money for Canon to answer this question.  Apple directs me to Canon and Canon so far has been worthless.

Any ideas or suggestions for how to determine this would be much appreciated.  I'd really like to upgrade my OS at some point, but I don't want to do it if it's going to render my printer worthless.

Thank you,

Dave

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There is no MAC OS support listed for the MG6120 after Sierra (10.12).

If it worked on anything later than that, it can mostly be attributed to luck.  Catalina has significantly different architecture now that support for 32bit programs has been discontinued. 

If you plan to upgrade to Catalina, I suggest that you make a Time Machine back up in the event you need to revert.  You should be performing regular back ups any way, but this will give you a safety net should things not turn out as anticipated,

Canon has been incrementally updating its devices to support Catalina, but there is no timeline or guarantee.

If a product will not be supported, Canon may offer you the ability to Upgrade to newer hadware at a discounted price.  For this, you need to contact Sales and see if you are eligible for the "Upgrade Program".    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Thanks for that information.  I do create regular Time Machine backups.  How would I be able to find out if this Canon product will no longer be supported?  Do I just have to contact Canon Sales and ask?

Also, do you happen to have any insight/opinion on whether it is a better move to make the upgrade to Catalina and suck up whatever impact it may have on my printer, or hold out on upgrading the OS so that I can continue using my printer?  I am not a heavy user but I do use it at least a few times a month.  It has been a great printer and I've had it for 9 years.  I would hate to have to get rid of it simply because of the OS, but I also don't want to miss security/stability updates.

Thanks

Dave

Announcements