cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG3620 Can I Print in Black Without Buying a New Color Cartridge?

MarleneB
Apprentice

I don't print in color.  My color ink cartridge is used up. My black ink  cartridge is fairly new.  I tried to print in greyscale but I receive a message saying that I need to replace my color cartridge.  Can I print in black without buying a new color cartridge?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi MarleneB.

I can confirm the ink series you listed is the correct color cartridge.  Remove the ink cartridge and make sure the brightly-colored packaging has been removed.  Do NOT touch the copper connectors or tear off the dull-colored electronic strip on the front.

Please keep in mind that the MG3620 needs to remain powered on when the ink cartridges are replaced, or else it will not be able to identify the new cartridge, and will continue with its last-known-good ink level from the old cartridge.  If you replaced the ink cartridge with the power off, try the following:

1. Open the front of the printer to where the inks are at.

2. Remove the power cord from the back of the printer.

3. Remove the color ink cartridge and set it carefully aside.

4. Plug the printer back in and power it back on.

5. With the power on, reinsert the color ink cartridge as normal, then shut the front of the printer to its normal configuration.

If any errors appear on the printer, they will need to be addressed before printing may continue.  Errors are indicated by the Alarm lamp (beside the triangle) flashing in sequence, and it may be accompanied by a flashing Power lamp.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Darius
Whiz

Hello MarleneB.

The MG3620 is designed to be a color and photo inkjet printer.  When using Grayscale printing, some settings may cause the printer to use color inks to produce the blacks and grays (duplex printing, borderless, any paper other than plain paper, any paper size other than letter, legal, or A4). 

In order for the unit to operate and be prepared for such printing, it requires one of each ink cartridge, in good working order (functional and reporting more than empty).  Safety measures built in prevent printing with an empty ink cartridge.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

MarleneB
Apprentice

Hi,

I purchased and installed a new color cartridge PIXMA 241 XL.  I removed "print in greyscale" from my preference.  My printer is not printing in color.  What do I need to do?

Hi MarleneB.

I can confirm the ink series you listed is the correct color cartridge.  Remove the ink cartridge and make sure the brightly-colored packaging has been removed.  Do NOT touch the copper connectors or tear off the dull-colored electronic strip on the front.

Please keep in mind that the MG3620 needs to remain powered on when the ink cartridges are replaced, or else it will not be able to identify the new cartridge, and will continue with its last-known-good ink level from the old cartridge.  If you replaced the ink cartridge with the power off, try the following:

1. Open the front of the printer to where the inks are at.

2. Remove the power cord from the back of the printer.

3. Remove the color ink cartridge and set it carefully aside.

4. Plug the printer back in and power it back on.

5. With the power on, reinsert the color ink cartridge as normal, then shut the front of the printer to its normal configuration.

If any errors appear on the printer, they will need to be addressed before printing may continue.  Errors are indicated by the Alarm lamp (beside the triangle) flashing in sequence, and it may be accompanied by a flashing Power lamp.

Thanks, the instructions worked and the printer is now printing in color.

Announcements