cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G4210 - print images but no text

CentennialPC
Apprentice

Swiming right along for the past MONTHS and suddenly, I cannot print anything from MS Word, but I CAN print images like from my camera... So - HUH?   I know I have the latest drivers (just verified this when I download and installed them after removing evrything else that HAD been in the PC regading Canon printers...).

So how do I get my printer back and be able to [priint text documents?  BTW: the PC JUST updated to Win10 ver 2004, so NOT like THAT would have anything to do with it OBVIOUSLY... (snide remark #1 for the day...)

HELP!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

Hi, CentennialPC!

So that the Community can help you better, please let us know if you're seeing any error messages and what exactly they say. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Well, that 's sort of the problem. There are no error messages, anywhere...  The printer has no errors displayed on the control panel of the printer, and no errors are displayed when printing inside of Windows 10 (regardless of whatever 'app' I try), such as from MS Word 2013).  It is as if both Windows and MS Word 'believes' the document has printed properly since no errors are (for lack of a better term) 'bounced back' to the computer from the printer.

Graphics of any form WILL print properly, whether from an image editor application or from a document where a graphic image is placed in a MS Word document.  Alsmost as if there is a setting someplace that allows "graphics only" and no text of any form.

The last time I saw anything like this was when I was running Windows 7 and a newer version of print driver software was required, and that 'driver update' dealt with that problem back then.  But the drivers currenty installed are directly from Canon and are the latest version available.  Of note: the installation of drivers and software has been done more than once, and even though I've done a full un-install when troubleshooting this (and a reboot after each uninstall attempt), and even the subsequent removal of all folders related to Canon are removed, this is the same indication everytime: No text - graphics only...

Potentially 'forcing' the PC to upgrade to Windows 10 ver. 20H2 might address this, but I have heard of some 'potential issues' with this newest release of Windows 10 so I'm maybe a bit hesitant.

But then since I'm allowed up to - what it is it? Up to like 10 days to 'rollback' to the previous version..? - potentially I should just give this a try and hope for the  best.  The update to Windows 10 ver 2004 was seemingly what caused this, but the 'allotted time' to accomplish a rollback has now expired, so I'm 'trapped' where I am unless I try this 20H2 update, I suppose.... 

On another note: I am one of those 'lucky' ones who seem to recurrenty have 'Windows 10 update issues' with several of the past 'feature and version' updates, so ostenstibly this was simply a failure related to this last update.

Just as 'per norm', I guess...

So... no help, huh? Well, I guess that since I cannot print much of anything other than pictures or graphics, I need to go buy another printer.
Ostensibly NOT a Canon, though...

Hi CentennialPC,

First, let's try a test.  Please follow these steps:

1.  Please press the wrench and screwdriver button on your PIXMA G4210

2.  Press the right arrow button to select Maintenance and press the OK

3.  Press OK on Nozzle check

Please compare your printout with the example below.  Does yours print the black grid at the top (section A)?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Followed your instructions, and AT FIRST , the lines at the top did not print...but then it occurred to me that as I instructed her to do, the owner/operator of this printer (which is NOT me..) had followed my instructions to do a head cleaning, but with no positive results.  And since I am the '**bleep**-retentive' personality that I am, I personally did three more 'head cleaning' operations and tested it again,.  And now not only do these lines appear properly, but text is also printing from anything I send to the printer.  Simply a case of 'dried-out heads', I guess...

Fixed.....

Case closed...

Hi CentennialPC,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve it

Thanks for keeing me informed!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements