cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd requests to (re)install the printer driver software

mhobart
Contributor

Mac 10.13.6 system, using Canon Pixma MG7720.  Occasionally I get prompts asking if I want to (re)install the printer software.  Usually when I check it shows the printer is installed.  Could this be caused by problems with the printer prefs?  Or somethin else?  I occasionally have to check the installed printer list and delete extra copies of the software which got added. Thanks in advance.  Mike H.

2 REPLIES 2

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mhobart,

Thank you for your contribution to the Canon Community Forum. I see that you have been getting notifications to install or reinstall the printer software. If you are getting a message at the printer, please check if it is asking you to update the printer firmware.

If the printer is asking you to update the printer firmware, please follow the instructions in the following article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177126

If you are seeing the message on the computer, I recommend reinstalling the MG7700 series CUPS Printer Driver from the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

Once the latest driver is installed, please go to your Printers & Scanners window and do the following:

1. Click on the MG7700 series printer that appears on the left side.
  2. Click on the MINUS (-) button and delete the MG7700 series from the list of installed printers.
  3. Click on the PLUS (+) button to open the Add Printer window.
  4. Do one of the following:
    1. If you are using a USB cable to connect the printer, click on the printer that appears in the Add window and make sure it is highlighted.
    2. If the printer is connected wirelessly, please wait a few minutes. Then, click on the printer that is listed next to Canon IJ Network and make sure it is highlighted.
  5. Click on the Add button.

Once the updated driver is installed and the printer is added back, you should be able to use the printer without getting that message.

I hope this information helps.

mhobart
Contributor

Not meaning to be negative in my reply, but I certainly know how to add the Printer to the system on the Mac, I am just puzzled why it sometimes does nor see that there I a printer attached and the there is software for it installed!

Announcements