cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New driver for PIXMA MG5350 & Mac OS X El Capitan?

RevCanonX
Contributor

I recently installed Mac OS X El Capitan on my MacBook Pro (mid 2012, 13 in). All of a sudden when I come to print the Mac is not detecting the printer although it is connected to the wireless network. Even a full reboot of both router and Mac, and switching the printer of until both were complete failed to get a signal from the Mac to the printer. 

I deduce a slight incompatibility of printer driver with the OS. I can get it to work in default settings using USB cable, but that brings it down to a mere page printer without the functions that I paid extra to get - wireless printing, rear tray feed, duplexing, presets etc.

SO do I need a new driver, and is there one? Anyone know?

5 REPLIES 5

francest
Apprentice

Has anyone solved the problem of printing once El Capitan has been downloaded?

1GR3
Apprentice

It's been 5 months, have anyone figured out what to do?

OK, it's a bit bizarre, but I have an idea.

When I'm at my desk (printer beside MacBook Pro), the wireless rarely works. When I'm away from my desk, for some reason it does seem to work.

I therefore deduce that the wireless receiver in the printer is weaker than in the Mac. The Mac beside the printer somehow monopolises or interferes with the signal (like when you have a poor FM reception on the radio, and the sound is clear when you're near the radio, but move to the wrong place and white noise breaks in).

So beside the printer I need to use the cable, but in the rest of the house I can use wireless.

To get the full range of printing options I have used the Presets option (see pic- can't show the detail, the menus disappear when I switch to Grab). The menu that by default comes up 'Copies & Pages' can be used to set the duplex settings (bottom of the list). I have one for 'Default' (single page feed from cassette), then others for: Rear Tray Feed; Cassette Landscape Duplex; Cassette Portrait Duplex; Rear Tray Landscape Duplex; Rear Tray Portrait Duplex. I set each up with the options menu, then go to the Preset menu and click 'Save current settings as preset', which allows you to name each preset. Now I can do all I want to, whether on USB cable or on wireless.

160422 screen grab.jpg

My router does need upgrading, but Canon need to put a high quality wireless receiver in, not some feeble thing that can't hack being in the presence of other devices. Best I can do. Not a solution, just a possible explanation.

Thank you but it was working fine until I upgraded to El Capitan so it seams more like a software issue.

I will try to use it from some location in the house.

My experience too, but the explanation works. I haven't yet tried putting the printer next to the router, because it's more convenient next to my desk, and the router is by the phone point in the hallway. BTW I've added a bit to my post on edit.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements