Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

New MacBook Pro - Catalina / Pixma TS9120 won't print 2 sided

I have a new Macbook Pro and the Canon printer will not give me the option to print 2 sided.  Have gone to the old Macbook and print 2 sided with no problem.  Running Catlina 10.15.1.     

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New MacBook Pro - Catalina / Pixma TS9120 won't print 2 sided

[ Edited ]

The support portal for your printer says there is no driver for the OS Version you selected or  the driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver.

Can't say for sure if a driver will be released, or if one is needed.  The optional software applications won't guarantee 2 sided printing. 

If you were running Mojave (everything working), then upgrded to Catalina, this might be the cause of your issue.

Here's what I would do.

Remove the device from printers and Scanners in System Preferences

If this is the only printer you have installed, go a step further and right-click in the printers pane, select Reset Printing System.

Now remove all installed Canon software compatible with Mojave OS.

Download any optional Software from the TS9120 Support Site (These are Catalina specific)

Install the printer again.  I'd install using an IP address, and ensure you check the Duplex option when presented.

Following this, I would run any optional applications you might want. 

If the duplex option was presented and checked, you should be able to print 2 sided.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi DRAE,

macOS v10.15 uses the built in Airprint driver to print with your PIXMA TS9210.  The application that you are printing from, if capable, dictates what printing options are available.  If Two-Sided is not an option, then that type of printing cannot be performed from that application.

For more informaton on the print interface, please refer to this link:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/M/TS9100%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_pc_basic.html

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Patrick, so does the TS9120 work with catalina mac os? trying to decide if I should install it or not...thanks!

Highlighted
New Contributor

It doesn't make sense that this is dictated by the application, and I am certain that the application (in my case Pages) used to support 2 sided printing.

Also, the Pages help says this about the two-sided printing:

Two-Sided

Print on both sides of the paper (also called “duplex printing”). This option appears only if your printer supports two-sided printing.

I think that this seems to suggest that it really is a feature of the printer driver?

I amn using a different Canon printer MG5320, but the problem appears to be the same.